what size wing for double 120"s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keithdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am 6'2/ weight 255-260lbs. I am going to be diving double 120;s soon. I have the oms bp/w set up now. And i want to get the same set up for doubles. Can anyone suggest what lift i would need with this kind of weight. I will be diving dry, if that helps also.:confused:

It depends on what kind of 120's. I dive double worthington HP 100's with a 44 lb wing. The worthington 120's are almost the exact same buoyancy, so I could dive the 120's with them as well. Different tanks have different buoyancy characteristics though. It will also depend on what type of equipment you plan on buying in the future (cannister lights, stage/deco bottles etc.). Fresh water or Salt?

Hobodiver, i am going to dive the worthington120's high pressure tanks, with my drysuit. i dive mostly in salt water.

Well, you probably could get away with around a 45 lb wing, but it might be better to get a larger in case you add more equipment in the future. My tech instructor recommended at least a 50-60 lb wing, but I already had the 44 lb so for now I just use that.

Bear in mind, larger wings will have more drag.

Might want to check out this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

Edit: I see scared silly beat me to it.

I am 6'2/ weight 255-260lbs. I am going to be diving double 120;s soon. I have the oms bp/w set up now. And i want to get the same set up for doubles. Can anyone suggest what lift i would need with this kind of weight. I will be diving dry, if that helps also.:confused:

Just cuz I need the practice...:wink:

Wing capacity is *NOT* primarily a function of the cylinders you are using.

Gas volume plays a part, but Exposure suit buoyancy is a key element.

The "right" wing for 2 x 120's in warm water with a thin undergarment won't be the "right" choice for cold water with a more buoyant set of undies.

The assumptions I use for sizing a doubles wing:

The diver may need to breathe his back gas down to zero.

The diver may need to inflate his dry suit during a long shallow stop.

If the diver needs the option of using all of his backgas he needs to start the dive negative by at least the weight of his gas. 2 x 120 * .08 = 19.2 Lets call it 20 lbs for air or nitrox.

If the diver wants to be able to add a bit of gas to their suit at their shallow stop they need to add 2-3 lbs to the weight of the gas.

20 + 3 = 23.

Our example diver is now starting the dive negative by 23 lbs, and will need to have use 23 lbs of the capacity of his wing to remain at the surface.

Our diver needs in reserve enough capacity to deal with a total failure of his drysuit. While it's unlikely that a diver could loose 100% of the buoyancy, they cannot loose more than that.

Lets say our diver has tested their suit and knows that with minimum gas in it 24 lbs of ballast is required to get neutral.

20 lbs of gas + 3 lbs of "extra" suit inflation + 24 lbs of suit buoyancy = 47 lbs.

Our example diver needs a wing a bit bigger than 47 lbs.

Our diver also needs to be able to float their rig at the surface with full cylinders.

If 100% of the required ballast is on the rig, i.e. back plate, harness, regulators, empty cylinders, tank bands, v weights etc. then the rig will also be a maximum of 47lbs. negative.

The actual required ballast with empty cylinders in this example is 27 lbs, suit buoyancy + extra inflation. If the rig represents 27 lbs of ballast with empty tanks when you add back in the 20 lbs of gas the rig is now 47 lbs negative.

It should be pretty clear that the buoyancy of the divers suit is a key element in determining the required wing capacity, and in determining total weighting.

To test you suit:

Put on your thickest undies and suit.

Find some neck deep water and jump in holding a bag filled with too much lead.

Vent the suit while neck deep.

Remove lead from the bag until you just sink when you pick up your feet.

Weight the bag of lead.

If you do this test in fresh water you need to add 1 lbs of lead for every 40 lbs of diver. For you that's about 6-7 lbs.

Tobin

Tobin, i should not have to wear any weight with the doubles at all. I wear no weight with a single tank& wing, the lift is 45lbs. The doubles are going to give me more weight correct? The only change is i am going to be diving dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom