What size tank (Steel) would you purchase for nitrox fills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xs scuba worthington
x7 120 hp buoyancy full neg 11 lbs / empty neg 2lbs. weight 38lbs diam 7.25 in
x8 130 hp buoyancy full neg 11.7 lbs / empty neg 2lbs. weight 43lbs diam 8 inch
I use 120 in florida and love it loads of air and im a hog but see no problem diving 130 you will get used to either. I went with the 120 as its 5lbs lighter and has almost the same buoyancy and not as fat. changing between the two sizes would be a pain i would stick with the same diameter

Im looking to get a steel for my nitrox fills. I breath pretty heavy and I want to avoid having to bring a million tanks to the dive site. I'm 5"10 210lbs and not a fatty if you know what I mean. The 130 calls to me but am I jumping the gun?

I'd say talk to some of your SoCal divers and see what they're using ... and why. Personally, if I was diving down there regularly, I'd be preferring either 119's or 130's ... as I do here in Puget Sound and for some of the same reasons. If you've got the strength to get 'em into and out of the water, go big. The main difference between 119's and 130's isn't weight ... it's how they trim out. If possible find someone who can loan you one of each and take 'em diving ... then decide. Given the dive profiles at some of your more popular sites, I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 119. And don't count on overfills ... they're a lot harder to come by in SoCal than in Florida. If you get a LP tank, good luck getting it filled beyond service pressure.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

why would you consider 119 its only one lbs lighter and same buoyancy empty and same diameter. if its between 119 or 130 thats a no brainer

why would you consider 119 its only one lbs lighter and same buoyancy empty and same diameter. if its between 119 or 130 thats a no brainer

I am 5'8" and 119 only has 7cuft less than 130 but it is shorter thus trims better for me.

They trim differently. The few CF difference in volume is fairly insignificant for most folks. Weight and buoyancy differences are even less significant. You just have to decide whether you prefer the longer or shorter cylinder ... and that's really a matter of personal preference.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Personally I use the same tanks for nitrox and air, difference being where I use which tanks..
In my cold drysuit conditions locally its a big steel tank, in tropical locations the plain old AL80..

I thought we were talking about ulfhedinn 5.10 and 210 lbs a air hog. the height diff is only 1.5 inchs but you get a extra 11 cu ft (130-119= 11).

tigerman
I agree its not wise to take your steel tanks on vacation:wink:

I thought we were talking about ulfhedinn 5.10 and 210 lbs a air hog. the height diff is only 1.5 inchs but you get a extra 11 cu ft (130-119= 11).

119 - 123.0 cu ft
130 - 131.4 cu ft

So technically 8.4 cu ft difference. I tried HP120, 119, 130 and 119s trim best for me. I can dive others if 119 is not available but I purchased 119 for that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom