What size kayak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll most likely be out at the Boneyard again this weekend. Dana, think I saw your kayak on Sat on my way back in? The wind definitely made the return trip take a bit longer!

Yepper, that twas me. I saw your truck when I pulled in but you must have been way out there cuz I couldn't see your yak. I know what you mean about the wind. My boat was dragging me pretty good even while I was under water!

Wish I could. Be sure to post a report when ya get back.

Among the many questions I have concerning kayak diving was just brought up in one of the posts. It was said that the kayak was dragging the diver. So my question is: does the kayak get used as a float/marker buoy, attached to the diver, or do you usually anchor the boat and swim in the vicinity?

Among the many questions I have concerning kayak diving was just brought up in one of the posts. It was said that the kayak was dragging the diver. So my question is: does the kayak get used as a float/marker buoy, attached to the diver, or do you usually anchor the boat and swim in the vicinity?

I am a new yak diver with only 2 yak dives under my belt, and both with different kayaks but, each time I used a anchor but moved it with me, so if it started to pull me I could set the anchor.
Like I said I am a new yak diver and I don't know how the others do it.

To tow or not to tow? My general decision factor is wind and sea state. If it's windy or choppy I anchor rather than tow. My preference is to tow though. If there are several yaks towing can be a problem. If there are only two or three yaks we string them together and one person tows. This cuts down on tangling.

I always tow. I like the added safety factor of knowing that the boat is always above me if I need it. I also use the larger flag & it is placed on the boat. Jet skiers my say that they didn't see the flag but if they can't see that big yellow banana, there's a problem. Sometimes it is a hassle when there is a chop but not enough for me to not tow it. It also can be a good indicator of weather above. There are times when you go out & everything is nice & calm. An hour later the boat starts to pull on you. Now you know that topside weather has changed.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom