what sidemount tanks do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Company of the first stage, hose and etc? Do you turn the gas on slowly and let it build or just crank on it?
HOG D1, deep 6, size 9 shoes(wide cause that makes a difference for sure).
I turn my gas on slowly and gently listen to the pressure building up. I also am in the military so I work out a lot. Perhaps I crank it you fast compare to other since you know, army strong and all that. Perhaps that’s the crucial point on why 2 40s are better than 1 80 for redundancy.

I don’t understand why you see it being the need of constantly adding extra items like “solo diving” and etc. If you are a self reliant diver you should know how to manage you’re gas. If you are a diver you should know how to manage you’re gas.
Because for a (buddied) diver, managing gas means maintaining a reserve in their tank and contact with their buddy with their backup gas.

Self-reliant and solo teach a core requirement of having redundant air sources, specifically a pony or other separate or isolatable cylinder. Mentioning solo is highlighting this key difference in tanks. One AL80 does not provide this. Two 40s do. So managing your gas as a self-reliant or solo diver is taught as starting with two cylinders. Then you continue reserving some gas in each. (Solo/SR teaches several other requirements for diving solo/sr as well.)

(Skipping the edge case of a Y valve, two dip tubes and two first stages on one cylinder, which you did not seem to be referring to. And which are not typical rental tanks outside of at least Italy.)

HOG D1, deep 6, size 9 shoes(wide cause that makes a difference for sure).
I turn my gas on slowly and gently listen to the pressure building up. I also am in the military so I work out a lot. Perhaps I crank it you fast compare to other since you know, army strong and all that. Perhaps that’s the crucial point on why 2 40s are better than 1 80 for redundancy.
Yeah, I haven't really heard anything bad about the HOG and Deep 6 stages. I would either say bad o-ring or just cranking it too fast. Do not worry I crank mine sometimes too :wink: If it happens again I would like to know.

Because for a (buddied) diver, managing gas means maintaining a reserve in their tank and contact with their buddy with their backup gas.

Self-reliant and solo teach the core requirement of having redundant air sources, like a pony or other separate or isolatable cylinder. Mentioning solo is highlighting this key difference. One AL80 does not provide this. Two 40s do. So managing your gas as a self-reliant or solo diver is taught as starting with two cylinders. Then you continue reserving some gas in each.

(Skipping the edge case of a Y valve, two dip tubes and two first stages on one cylinder, which you did not seem to be referring to. And which are not typical rental tanks outside of at least Italy.)
I would say for where I live most shops have Din tanks with the J valve adapter. Y valves for rental are very very rare. I have only seen them on personal tanks and have only seen one.
I agree with you on regency especially in being self-reliant. I just try to refrain from giving out too much info on certain items due to the fact that some people believe reading up on information vs receiving physical training are the same thing. Most divers I have met or taught normally do sidemount than self reliant. I would say 80% of them actually go sidemount than self reliant. I personally think that sidemount and self-reliant should be taught together and that being a certified side mount diver should atomically teach you about being self-reliant. Sadly training agencies don't see it that way.

I personally think that sidemount and self-reliant should be taught together and that being a certified side mount diver should atomically teach you about being self-reliant. Sadly training agencies don't see it that way.

I have no idea what is in a "self-reliant" course. Never took that class, have no interest in taking it, or paying for it.

I prefer to dive with a buddy - even when I am in a sidemount configuration. By the same token, I have been solo, in caves, very deep and very far from help. Was not my ideal but sometimes you go to battle with the army you have.

I have no idea what is in a "self-reliant" course. Never took that class, have no interest in taking it, or paying for it.

I prefer to dive with a buddy - even when I am in a sidemount configuration. By the same token, I have been solo, in caves, very deep and very far from help. Was not my ideal but sometimes you go to battle with the army you have.
Yeah but the whole cave thing and self reliant is like 50/50. Some agencies are like yeah you are self reliant some arent, some dive sites are like you are self reliant if you have full cave. A lot of logistics with being a full cave certified that I couldn't quite comment about.

Yeah but the whole cave thing and self reliant is like 50/50. Some agencies are like yeah you are self reliant some arent, some dive sites are like you are self reliant if you have full cave. A lot of logistics with being a full cave certified that I couldn't quite comment about.
I have no idea what you are trying to say

Sidemount is just a tool, just because there is partial redundancy in the gas managment (less than doubles in some ways, more than in others) doesn't have anything to do with redundancy in other ways - there is no backup brain when you're solo.

AL 40+40 & AL 80+80. 3000 psi Catalinas. Simple, no drama. I like backmounting twins more.

2xAL80 - air (mostly for travel - some operators don't do Nitrox, and can't say their bank is O2 clean)
2xFaber 117 - nitrox (two sets) (my LDS does tank blending -- these are O2 clean)

I dive 2x10L steel for shallower or shorter dives, 2x12L steel for technical dives. All cold freshwater dives. I like steel as it trims easily and I don't have to take as much weight in a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom