what sidemount tanks do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mate I was not trying to attack you in anyway, although I do say it can happen I also state: "Many of the "problems" and "issues" that have been posted in this forum I have seen are items that can be highly preventable with the proper gear maintenance and training that I hope everyone receives." It appears I have apparently hit a button judging from your defensive comment. Quite frankly I would rather just stop this conversation here because I am not someone who wants to make an argument online over something so small. I personally believe diving with 40's is useless and they are too small unless you are diving 15 feet for recovery or to backpack like you said with the kayak. With that being said like I said with sidemount, "sidemount is should be called "personalization" or "customization possibilities." So if that works for you and you believe that is the best solution than do what makes you comfortable and stay safe. Cheers mate

What O-ring did you use and from what company? How did the accident look underwater? Did it look violent? Small bubbles coming out? Was the O-Ring fully seated? I know some times if you don't properly release all pressure in the system, sometimes an o-ring has enough force to just slip a little. I would like to know more about this because I would say o-ring failure is normally one of the most common failures in diving. People just get in the habit of not checking to make sure.

O ring out of DS inflator hose at the first stage. I’d say complete failure base inn full bubbles coming out. I stopped the reg right away so it was not violent for long. o ring was fully seated and hose was tight. I was still surprise to see how much water came inside the 1st stage when I took it apart. I check the hoses every time when I assemble the reg on the bottle. Couldn’t tell you where the o ring came from. Anyway, redundancy is the message here. You can be as prepared as you want, freak accident happens.

I would love a set of those that are DOT certified.
Long ago Faber made a DOT MP72 very similar to these. They were long and narrow with a 3AA 3000+ rating. Rare as hen's teeth and they didn't put the REE on them so hard to get + stamped nowadays. I wish I had a pair.

For the OP
I have:
lp45s x 2 sets
lp72s
AL80s
lp85s x 2 sets
hp100s
hp130s

All setup for SM. I bring the tank & gas I need at the time.

Mate I was not trying to attack you in anyway, although I do say it can happen I also state: "Many of the "problems" and "issues" that have been posted in this forum I have seen are items that can be highly preventable with the proper gear maintenance and training that I hope everyone receives." It appears I have apparently hit a button judging from your defensive comment. Quite frankly I would rather just stop this conversation here because I am not someone who wants to make an argument online over something so small. I personally believe diving with 40's is useless and they are too small unless you are diving 15 feet for recovery or to backpack like you said with the kayak. With that being said like I said with sidemount, "sidemount is should be called "personalization" or "customization possibilities." So if that works for you and you believe that is the best solution than do what makes you comfortable and stay safe. Cheers mate

What O-ring did you use and from what company? How did the accident look underwater? Did it look violent? Small bubbles coming out? Was the O-Ring fully seated? I know some times if you don't properly release all pressure in the system, sometimes an o-ring has enough force to just slip a little. I would like to know more about this because I would say o-ring failure is normally one of the most common failures in diving. People just get in the habit of not checking to make sure.

I think the argument stems from the questionable statement that a single al80 is fine but two al40s is to small.. this makes no sense. We can agree that in deep/technical/cave, that more gas is needed. But in a situation where an al80 by itself is suitable then al40s should be as good if not better. In my case i like sidemount better for numerous reasons and 2 al40s was a good option at the time. I have also side mounted a single al80 for specific situations that it made sense. I now have 50s that im fine with cave filling so they are great for when i want to pack light. But again, al40s are a viable option for sidemount unless you think 80cf of gas is insufficient...

O ring out of DS inflator hose at the first stage. I’d say complete failure base inn full bubbles coming out. I stopped the reg right away so it was not violent for long. o ring was fully seated and hose was tight. I was still surprise to see how much water came inside the 1st stage when I took it apart. I check the hoses every time when I assemble the reg on the bottle. Couldn’t tell you where the o ring came from. Anyway, redundancy is the message here. You can be as prepared as you want, freak accident happens.
How new was the hose/o-ring? Normally I see blowouts like that on rentals because instead of letting the pressure slowly build up they just crank on it. After a while the o ring will move and twist out. Happens rarely but the fix is to just put new o-ring and tighten.

I think the argument stems from the questionable statement that a single al80 is fine but two al40s is to small.. this makes no sense. We can agree that in deep/technical/cave, that more gas is needed. But in a situation where an al80 by itself is suitable then al40s should be as good if not better. In my case i like sidemount better for numerous reasons and 2 al40s was a good option at the time. I have also side mounted a single al80 for specific situations that it made sense. I now have 50s that im fine with cave filling so they are great for when i want to pack light. But again, al40s are a viable option for sidemount unless you think 80cf of gas is insufficient...
I believe it’s insufficient due to the fact that I don’t see a point in diving 2 40’a over a single 80. 40’s are going to be more of a hassle to keep online with you’re body. Plus it would just be more of a hassle to bring 2 of them along when I can bring one. All I can see from these post is everyone is on redundancy. Rarely do you see single backmount divers with reduncy except for the rule of thirds or etc. I personally believe that diving with 2 40 would just be a hassle and waste of my time but, I can understand why some people would rather have “redundancy.” Like I said sidemount is a personalization of you’re own equipment. If you like to dive 2 40 I’m not gonna tell you no. That’s you’re choice.

I believe it’s insufficient due to the fact that I don’t see a point in diving 2 40’a over a single 80. 40’s are going to be more of a hassle to keep online with you’re body. Plus it would just be more of a hassle to bring 2 of them along when I can bring one. All I can see from these post is everyone is on redundancy. Rarely do you see single backmount divers with reduncy except for the rule of thirds or etc. I personally believe that diving with 2 40 would just be a hassle and waste of my time but, I can understand why some people would rather have “redundancy.” Like I said sidemount is a personalization of you’re own equipment. If you like to dive 2 40 I’m not gonna tell you no. That’s you’re choice.

My wife cant use single tanks on her back do to an old injury that flares up, but is fine in sidemount. 2 al40s are easier to fit in my trunk or kayak. I can have my buddy carry one tank then go fishing while i carry the other tank and dive in a remote location requiring a hike in. I don’t like switching between backmount and sidemount all the time and would like to do sidemount even in recreational just to keep things simple as far as switching my regulators between dive types. Its good to practice sidemount enough in recreational dives that it is second nature during cave diving. If you only own heavy steel tanks and a couple deco al40s, it gives you a setup that works for recreational dives in a wetsuit without buying more tanks. Two al40s sidemounted is more streamlined against river current than bm al80. Solo diving requires more redundancy than just the rule of 3rds.
So there is no reason to dive al40s because bm al80 is better?

My wife cant use single tanks on her back do to an old injury that flares up, but is fine in sidemount. 2 al40s are easier to fit in my trunk or kayak. I can have my buddy carry one tank then go fishing while i carry the other tank and dive in a remote location requiring a hike in. I don’t like switching between backmount and sidemount all the time and would like to do sidemount even in recreational just to keep things simple as far as switching my regulators between dive types. Its good to practice sidemount enough in recreational dives that it is second nature during cave diving. If you only own heavy steel tanks and a couple deco al40s, it gives you a setup that works for recreational dives in a wetsuit without buying more tanks. Two al40s sidemounted is more streamlined against river current than bm al80. Solo diving requires more redundancy than just the rule of 3rds.
So there is no reason to dive al40s because bm al80 is better?
Obviously my last 3 sentence whipped by you like a Ferrari on I95. I said it’s you’re equipment do what you like. I don’t understand why you see it being the need of constantly adding extra items like “solo diving” and etc. If you are a self reliant diver you should know how to manage you’re gas. If you are a diver you should know how to manage you’re gas. Obviously my 3 post talking about how sidemount is you’re way have gone way pass you and all you can see “he doesn’t like al40 I’m gonna change his mind.”

How new was the hose/o-ring? Normally I see blowouts like that on rentals because instead of letting the pressure slowly build up they just crank on it. After a while the o ring will move and twist out. Happens rarely but the fix is to just put new o-ring and tighten.
30 dives in perhaps? All fresh water

30 dives in perhaps? All fresh water
Company of the first stage, hose and etc? Do you turn the gas on slowly and let it build or just crank on it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom