What should i look for in a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

george1098

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm a new diver up here in cold Nova Scotia, and in a year or so, once I'm a reasonably established wet suit diver, I'm thinking I would like to get myself in to a dry suit. What should I look for in a good dry suit? and what brands do we recommend? I am a big fan of scubapro, so ill likely be going with one of those, but i'd appreciate anything anyone could tell me.
thanks!

Doc, why not make a case for why you think DUI is the way to go and help the original poster out. Your post was kind of vague. I think he would be better served with some insight on the product line other than their usual marketing.

While DUI makes a great product, there are other manufacturer's that can be considered. My wife and I both dive Bare drysuits and are rather pleased with the products. The fit is good (for us), and if you wanted custom it's not too much more. Bare also includes a lifetime warranty on the quality of the suit. Their newest suits include the tabs to mount suspenders as well, making suspenders cheaper. And one of the biggest selling points for us, was that the Bare suits were 1/2-1/3 the price of the DUI suits that were similar in materials. DUI doesn't make a bad product, but I think there are others that can offer a better value on the dollar. If money is no object, then DUI is a great option. We had to consider price, since we ended up buying two of them.

Shane

Zipper in the front is priceless.

Attached boots are convenient.

Make sure it has inner suspenders so you can wear it abbreviated during your surface intervals.

Trilam is very comfortable and flexible, if warm enough for you.

I personally do not like the DUI fold-in-the-middle and would avoid it.

DUI does make some of the best woolies however (not really made of wool, of course).

Diving Concepts and Zeagle make the best trilams that I know of.

Do not buy a suit off the rack. Instead, send in your measurements for customized sizing.

If you do this wrong, the mistake will stay with you for 10 years, the life of the suit.

...While DUI makes a great product, there are other manufacturer's that can be considered. My wife and I both dive Bare drysuits and are rather pleased with the products. The fit is good (for us), and if you wanted custom it's not too much more. Bare also includes a lifetime warranty on the quality of the suit. Their newest suits include the tabs to mount suspenders as well, making suspenders cheaper. And one of the biggest selling points for us, was that the Bare suits were 1/2-1/3 the price of the DUI suits that were similar in materials. DUI doesn't make a bad product, but I think there are others that can offer a better value on the dollar. If money is no object, then DUI is a great option. We had to consider price, since we ended up buying two of them.

Shane

If money was no object then I would get one of those rubberized ice diving suits with the dry hood and dry gloves and attached boots too. Heck, might as well also get an FFM, so that you are then completely dry everywhere.

If money is a major object, then BARE is a good solution. Be careful however because BARE suits tear more easily than any other suit. I have seen this happen with my own eyes.

If money is a major object, then BARE is a good solution. Be careful however because BARE suits tear more easily than any other suit. I have seen this happen with my own eyes.

I'm surprised that you say Bare tears more easily than other suits. Most people I've spoken with speak highly of Bare's durability. I have the crushed 2mm suit, and my wife has the HD Trilam. Neither of us have experienced any problems with leaks or otherwise. But we also don't dive in any wrecks with sharp edges. We're just your average open water divers, which limits to some extent the potential for sharp edges.

Shane

I'm surprised that you say Bare tears more easily than other suits. Most people I've spoken with speak highly of Bare's durability. I have the crushed 2mm suit, and my wife has the HD Trilam. Neither of us have experienced any problems with leaks or otherwise. But we also don't dive in any wrecks with sharp edges. We're just your average open water divers, which limits to some extent the potential for sharp edges.

Shane

You must have bought their more expensive ones.:)

We did. We got the XCD2 Pro, which is a shoulder entry, 2mm crushed neoprene suit. I ordered from divetank.com and got the suit, a set of underwear, gloves, and hood for $1000 or so.

My wife dives a HD Trilam pro, should entry suit. We got hers with the hood, gloves and underwear for about $1300 or so.

So we did go with their higher end suits, but there are quite a few people who are happy with their entry level nexgen, which I think is bilam suit. I could be wrong though.

Either way, my experience with Bare products (wetsuits and drysuits) has been satisfactory. Your milage may vary. :)
Shane

Right pee valves, i didnt think of that. Warrantees are a big seller for me too. that's why i went with scubapro regs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom