What should I be wearing under my new dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of drysuit did you buy? What are you water temps?

I wear more than most, but I also get colder than most people do. We have 47+ degree water and I wear a DUI 400g with another 100g of fleece underneath. The fleece is stuff you can buy at Costco, Ross, or REI.

What kind of drysuit did you buy? What are you water temps?
^^^^
Kind of important to know.

For me, mid 70's to about 65 deg I'll wear a Whites 200g. Sixty five to low 50's a DUI 300g. Fourties I'll wear both.

trilam in 72deg - underwear, jog bra or camisole, running tshirt in some thin wicking fabric, trouser socks, merino wool socks, and a thin tilos jumpsuit on top of everything. oh, and a 5mm hood.

Congratulations on your new drysuit purchase! We have a short page titled "Layering. An approach to comfort" that might be helpful. It's at Layering. An Approach to Comfort

Drysuits have a huge advantage over wetsuits. You can adjust your insulation/divewear so that you can be warm and comfortable on every dive. Don't be afraid to experiment with what you wear.

Have fun and happy diving -

Kathy
DUI - Diving Unlimited International

Layer, layer,layer. Go to your local REI, in Canada its called MEC. Start with a wicking layer to pull any moisture away from your skin, then a mid weight layer, I wear merino wool, followed by a nice 200g fleece. This should keep you warm and not to bulky for half the price of a DUI undergarment. I wear this in the winter and dive in the Pacific Northwest and stay warmish after a 2 hour dive

You can also get inexpensive thermal base layers at

sierratradingpost.com
reioutlet.com
campmor.com

I've done relatively short dives into the water in the 40's with only thick socks, jeans, and a t-shirt but my suit is 3.5mm compressed neoprene. Try that in a trilam and you'll come up blue.

(it should go without saying but I did have on thick gloves and a hood but that's all that was "under" the suit, which was the original question)

Back
Top Bottom