What Scubapro mask has the lowest volume?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dude said he tried it and it worked!!!...

there was a dude that couldn't sink during his open water training, he thought he needed more lead.. my instructor told him to wipe some toothpaste in his mouth that helps u to sink... he didn't have an issue sinking afterward :)

my guess is that he exhaled when taking off his mask.

I can remove and replace a large volume mask without sinking and without adding gas to my BC...do the laws of physics not apply to me?

First I find it difficult to believe that you are 100% certain that you are literally down to your last pound. I don't doubt you have a weightbelt with one pound on it though. (Or something like that.)

Have you tried just dumping that last lb and see how the dive goes? You'll probably be fine. If you really are barely underweighted I'd look at adding a couple pounds of negative buoyancy somewhere it's useful like perhaps ScubaPro Jet style fins or a DRIS 1000 aircraft aluminum dive light.

While I'm an advocate of low volume masks, it doesn't really enter into the weighting equation.

l
hank49

ok any suggestion? half the price sounds good.

Speardiver Stealth spearfishing & freediving mask

i have a couple of these. That's one in my avatar. The Scout I had was purchased about 4 years ago and was $79. This one isn't quite half price but I would guess the price of a Scout has gone up too,
Also,
https://www.facebook.com/NankoFishingSupply

I shop here when I get to Hawaii every year. They have a very nice mask....generic....that was $30. Black skirt, soft, low volume. I have 4 of them. My sons and wife use them too.

It's cool trying to fine tune that much. But man, that little bit can change if you fart in your wetsuit, or eat a heavy breakfast. Good luck.

my guess is that he exhaled when taking off his mask.

I can remove and replace a large volume mask without sinking and without adding gas to my BC...do the laws of physics not apply to me?

i know.. that was my point... toothpaste has absolutely no effect on buoyancy but yet still the guy was able to sink simple because he believed he should be able to sink with toothpaste :)....

he prolly filled his mask with water and did sink... chances are its not the mask being filled with water caused him to sink... lung volume is a much much bigger swing than mask volume... and slightly changing that can cause u to sink/rise thats how i descend/ascend... so thats prolly what caused him to sink

about the weights.. i made custom weights... i have 3pcs.. 1/3 of a pound. screwd to my plate. sometimes strapped with home made pouch.

i've actually dived with out the last pound. it wasn't cutting it.. I was squeezign the last air in an exhale.. then id sink.. very very very slowly
went back to the 1 lb. to make the dive more enjoyable... but before that... i tried filling the mask with water... slowly... by putting a finger on top of my mask. then exhhhhaaaled.. it was easier though... didn't completely fill the mask.. just enough to have my unsubmerged ( if there's such a word) for me to see and guage... how much i sank..

about the weights.. i made custom weights... i have 3pcs.. 1/3 of a pound. screwd to my plate. sometimes strapped with home made pouch.

i've actually dived with out the last pound. it wasn't cutting it.. I was squeezign the last air in an exhale.. then id sink.. very very very slowly
went back to the 1 lb. to make the dive more enjoyable... but before that... i tried filling the mask with water... slowly... by putting a finger on top of my mask. then exhhhhaaaled.. it was easier though... didn't completely fill the mask.. just enough to have my unsubmerged ( if there's such a word) for me to see and guage... how much i sank..

what do you do at the end of the dive when you have lost 4 lbs of gas in your tank?

I think you just need to keep your rig the way it is and get a few dozen dives in. I bet somewhere in there you'll dump that last pound.

What scubapro mask has the lowest volume.

Presently im using Spectra. I know it's considered a low volume mask...

But which has the lowest? working on trim.. and loosing weights. Already have a BP/W (Aluminum) and im down to my last pound of weight.

Over the years I've grown to prefer frameless designs for their excellent overall performance and minimal profile. Frameless models are usually lower volume, less bulky, lighter, less expensive, provide better visibility, and often fit better. My current favorite is the Scubapro Solo - great product.

SCUBAPRO - SOLO

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom