What scares fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

discrepancy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What noises scare fish? I've noticed that many fish don't hang around if you breathe too hard, move too much, or even look them in the face. Can't say I blame them really. We must look scary to them.

Also, powering up a strobe makes a loud high-pitched whining sound, and the whine continues as long as the strobe is fired up. The noise really annoys me on land, but it doesn't seem to bother fish. Or does it? At least nudis don't run away.

discrepancy:
What noises scare fish? I've noticed that many fish don't hang around if you breathe too hard, move too much, or even look them in the face. Can't say I blame them really. We must look scary to them.

Also, powering up a strobe makes a loud high-pitched whining sound, and the whine continues as long as the strobe is fired up. The noise really annoys me on land, but it doesn't seem to bother fish. Or does it? At least nudis don't run away.

spearguns

discrepancy:
At least nudis don't run away.

They do! As fast as they can...

btw. my flash doesn't make any noise while turned on!

If you don't wan't to scare the fish try the SCR (SCCR) route and there will be almost no bubbles... (I know it's strange idea, but you can now get pretty "unexpensive" SCR units and use them with air (or nitrox) and avoid the noise - btw. first go through a course because this machines require some different techinques)

there is a forum for CCR and SCR divers here on scubaboard where you can look around...

Wasabi.......

I find that any fast motion scares fish. Just flicking your fingers is enough to get lots of fish to dart for cover.

Some fish/octopus/sharks also seem to be able to know where you are looking, and a direct stare will make them nervous.

At twilight, just waving your light across the reef will cause the small fish to dart for cover as the beam hits them. (It's kind of amusing to see fish over a 30' radius dive for cover as you do a 360 degree spin, but I wouldn't do that sort of harassment, would I? :) )

A lot of fish seem to ignore bubbles, as long as you start to exhale very slowly, so that there isn't a sudden change in the sound. I used to think that I needed a rebreather to get close, but have found that patience and a slow approach works pretty good.

Any sudden change in light or motion, or any sort of intense "hmmm, looks yummy" interest scares fish.

I've found sometimes fish don't like my camera head-on. They sometimes turn 180 degrees and show me their butts. I imagine this is probably a good idea if some predator is getting near...may as well be facing the right direction to run. I've found slow smooth movements help keep fish calm.

Lots of our fish around here have spines they put up when you start bothering em. Helps know when to slow down before you scare em off.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom