What regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sneakysnook

Reaction score
I wanted to know what would be a good reg. for diving in spings and gulf. I'm nitrox certified and looking for a good regulator for a beginner.What should I buy and what would be the best place to go to.

It really depends on (a) how long do you want to hold on to the reg, whether you plan to buy something from which to upgrade, and (b), how much you want to spend. A good, 40% nitrox compatible reg, will probably run you between $250 - $550.00. If you don't mind spending the money, I'd suggest the Mares Abyss 05. It runs about $450.00. It's my current reg and I dive Nitrox 100% of the time. Remember, though, that the reg itself will not be the only expense; you'll still need to purchase an octo and a console, or spg. That's going to be about an additional $300.00, if you don't have to have a computer. If you want a computer on your console, it really depends on your preference. I dive the Aeris Atmos 2, and find it to be an awsome computer.

check out www.diversdirect.com for more info and choices.

sneakysnook:
I wanted to know what would be a good reg. for diving in spings and gulf. I'm nitrox certified and looking for a good regulator for a beginner.What should I buy and what would be the best place to go to.

Are you trying to start a fight on SB? :D

Actually, you'll get a lot of conflicting opinions on regulator choices. Since I made the transition to the dark side :evil_2: I use the ScubaPro MK25/S600 regulator, and I'm real happy with it. It really performs... but... I jumped from a USD Conshelf SE2 to the S600. Totally night and day comparison.

My recommenadtion... talk to your LDS and see if they'll let you try a couple out. Try some in the pool, then try some in the ocean. Try to over breathe them. Some you'll find that it feels like you're sucking through a straw when you get winded... while others... continue to supply you with air. Once you get into the higher end regulators... they all perform pretty well. You won't be able to tell the difference.

Here's another way to start a fight... LDS or internet? We all have our own opinions on that one. I prefer to support my LDS when I'm buying items that need to be serviced... i.e. regulator. I'll pay a little extra to get my LDS to service it. Now.. if I find a good deal on the internet... I'm no fool...

Al

You're up there in Tampa - buy a locally manufactured regulator: Dive Rite or Zeagle. You won't have to upgrade later, and when you dry off behind the ears after a few years of diving, you can service the regs yourself.
You'll pay more for one of these babies - but you'll only buy it once. Too many people rush out and buy gear right away and they lose bigtime when they go to upgrade to get the stuff they should have bought in the first place.
Have fun.

sneakysnook:

I've had a Apeks TX 50 for 8 years, with no trouble at all. This is the most popular brand in Great Britain, where they dive in much worse conditions than sunny Florida. If I had to buy another reg, I might go with the TX 50 or the TX 100...

As long as you buy one of the "better" regs you will not regret it. I for instance bought a Sherwood Brut with Octo and analog console for $100.00 in a pawn shop and had it serviced. I beach dove it a lot and then took it to a wreck in pompano in heavy current. I found that I got "winded" I thought that I was just out of shape then learned (from SB threads) that I was overbreathing the reg.
I then bought a Aqualung Legend LX and love it. In truth though at 90' I have compared it to the Aqualung Titan LX and did not really notice a difference in my own real world test but that day was warm and in mild current.
I went for the extra dollars and should never have to upgrade my regulator again.. especially since I will NEVER be found in water under 60 degrees unless I get tied in chains and thrown there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom