What regulator for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11bravodiver:
I just finished my open water course and like everyone else, I AM HOOKED! Now that I am gonna start the advanced course and I want to buy my own stuff. I will be diving mostly in NH and Mass so it will get cold. I don't know that much of a difference between most regs but I want something that I will keep for a long time. I don't mind paying top dollar but I don't want to spend money that isn't nessessary.

Thanks, Mike

BTW, This is my first post.
Welcome to the Scuba board.
In my opinion, all regs of all the reputable manufacturer are good and reliable. Top of the line of course will breath better than a basic one in each manufacturers lines.
I've tried: Apeks, Scubapro, Atomic, Mares, Poseidon (all top of the line).
I've bought: Mares Abyss & Poseidon Jetstream

You'll hear here a lot of personal preferences and you'll here it from me too :wink:
I decided for these regs because I dive in cold water too (really cold water :D) and these two are very reliable cold water regs. Never had a freeze or problems with none of them.
The other reason was because I liked how these regs deliver air(breathing characteristics. I prefer the Mares Abyss because it's even nicer to breath. I think it breathes nicer than any reg I've tried until now. But again, this is my personal preference. And it has a metal second stage that even improves the cold water performance.

Don't make the mistake to buy just a name or a reputation. You are the one that will have to dive with the regs and they should make you happy. The only way to find out whether you like it or not is to test. Don't buy a reg immediatly, rent couple of different brands, try them out and then buy the one you liked most.
Serviceability should be a factor as well. If you consider diving abroad too, I'd go with the bigger names since it will be easier to repair if needed.
I named my personal regs: Mares Abyss & Poseidon Jetsream(I would buy today the Xstream though) and I have to agree with the other that the Apeks are making good cold water regs. I think Scubapro has a more than doubtfull reputation in cold water(Piston first stages), while they are great warm water regs.
The Atomic are nice regs but it wouldn't be my personal preference for cold water either because of the piston first stages unless it would be sealed.
IMHO diaphragm first stages are more suitable for cold water than piston. Inform yourself about the different brands and models, differences and than start shopping.
On this board you'll get a lot of information. Many would be though only personal prefernces.
And by the way, everybody's regs are the best. Who the hell would admit that he bought overrated, expensive crapp? :D
Hope it gets you further

@aquaoren: I can only second that!

I would take a close look at the Apeks ((A)TX50-100), Poseidon (almost all), Aqualung (Legend LX Supreme) and maybe Mares (Proton Ice, Abyss) IF you want to do coldwater diving.
Poseidon is great but quite expensive, but you will get an outstanding quality reg.
I would personally recommend the Apeks (A)TX50/100 because these have the best cost/value relation. Where I live (very cold waters!), all tec-divers use Apeks! This is definately a quality sign and I have never heard any complains.
On the other hand, Scubapro is highly discouraged here! They may be good warm water regs but if you want to do really cold water diving, stick with the ones I named above.
If you have the chance, try the regs you consider to buy! This is the best criteria!

Hope that'll help a bit!

So which one of these regs is actually the best? Which one can do it all? Another problem I hear about is "cotton mouth". Which reg, out of these, will reduce cotton mouth the most?

there is no single best reg. if this was the case we wouldnt have anything to discuss here...
you got a lot of good advice here. For me, the best value offers the apeks (A)TX50 or 100 regs but this is just my opinion.
So, consider what kind of dving you will do now and in the future (cold/warmwater what so ever)... Check your budget...
TRY some of these regs if possible.... Decide!
Nobody can do that for you...

11bravodiver:
So which one of these regs is actually the best? Which one can do it all? Another problem I hear about is "cotton mouth". Which reg, out of these, will reduce cotton mouth the most?
A regulator that has a metal second stage will reduce to a certain degree the cotton mouth because metal helps moisture to condensate.
Sherwood regs have something too but I'm not familiar with Sherwood products and I don't want to misinform you.
Try to look for the Mares MR22/Abyss. Now that the new V32/ Proton metal/ice is here, you may get a good deal on it. If $ isn't a concern the V32/Proton metal or ice could be the right reg for you.

11bravodiver:

To my knowledge, Sherwood is the only mfr to seriously address 'cotton mouth'. THey use two metal 'cooling fins' inside the 2nd stage, just inside the mouth orifice. These are cooled when you inhale then collect moisture and heat when you exhale. Your next inhale provides moist air.

I used to own a Sherwood Oasis, 1990 model and it was quite pleasant. You still got a certain degree of cotton mouth, but not as severe. I had it for 11 years and sold it to a friend's brother. He is still using it.

Since you are talking about colder climes, IF you went with Sherwood, I would recommend the Blizzard. However, in my opinion from the most recent lab results I've seen, Sherwood has lost some of its edge and while still good regs, they tend to be more mid-range in performance.

I now use an Aqualung Legend LX. In my estimation, after trying regs from ScubaPro, Apeks, Atomic, Sherwood, it is the easiest breathing reg available. Not to say the other are bad, they're not. All good regs. But my preference is the Legend LX.

PM me if you want some more details and talk about pricing. Authorized dealer, full warranty.

Well I have been comparing these regs and I am thinking about getting the Mares "Proton Ice" reg. I like the fact that it can be used in cold water and it is all metal because that is supposed to reduce "cotton mouth" right? Has anybody heard anything bad about these regs? How about anything good?

Despite the recent ****ing match between Rodale's and ScubaPro, Rodale's rated the MK25/X650 the top regulator combo in their recent issue. I dive the MK25/S600 and love it. It breathes easy and dry.

One question you should think about before buying a reg: will you be diving in silty/sandy (i.e. lots of beach dives) or contaminated (i.e. harbor dives) conditions. If this is the case you might want a diaphram , rather than a piston type 1st stage; diaphrams aren't exposed to the water like Piston regs are.

11bravodiver:
Well I have been comparing these regs and I am thinking about getting the Mares "Proton Ice" reg. I like the fact that it can be used in cold water and it is all metal because that is supposed to reduce "cotton mouth" right? Has anybody heard anything bad about these regs? How about anything good?
It's as if you would be asking which car is better: Ford or Chevy? :wink:
I didn't try this specific regulator but since it is the further developement of the Mares MR22/Abyss, which I have, I don't think it will be bad. Actually, I was thinking about upgrading myself but to the Proton Metal, since I don't like the baby blue color.
No reg will eliminate completely coton mouth because the air has to be as dry as possible especially when diving cold water.
I mentioned already that all regs nowdays are fairly good. Before spending so much money, you should try couple of different regs, so you could compare. You may not like the way it gives you air or prefere something else after trying.
But generaly, Mares makes very solid, great breathing regs and most people who have one, like them.

11bravodiver:
Swing by the BTN TOC after 2300hrs and I may be able to help you out. I got a great deal on my gear and did a ton of reading and shopping around, Zeagle has some outstanding regs at around $300.00, if money is an issue. Now get back to work :wink: SFC S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom