What regulator for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11bravodiver

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished my open water course and like everyone else, I AM HOOKED! Now that I am gonna start the advanced course and I want to buy my own stuff. I will be diving mostly in NH and Mass so it will get cold. I don't know that much of a difference between most regs but I want something that I will keep for a long time. I don't mind paying top dollar but I don't want to spend money that isn't nessessary.

Thanks, Mike

BTW, This is my first post.

11bravodiver:
I just finished my open water course and like everyone else, I AM HOOKED! Now that I am gonna start the advanced course and I want to buy my own stuff. I will be diving mostly in NH and Mass so it will get cold. I don't know that much of a difference between most regs but I want something that I will keep for a long time. I don't mind paying top dollar but I don't want to spend money that isn't nessessary.

Thanks, Mike

BTW, This is my first post.

MOS Eh? :wink:

If I were you I would look at the Atomic M-1 or B-2. Check some of the requlator treads on this board. :eyebrow:

I like the Atomic stuff too but I prefer the Z1 because it is substantially cheaper but it performs basically the same. The Z1 just lacks the more exotic metals and I believe the swivel on the first stage. The one thing I like about the B2 is the swivel on the 2nd stage but I am sure that can be purchased seperately. When I shopped for regs the Z1 could also be had with an environmentally sealed 1st stage which is a must for cold water. You may also want to look at Scuba Pro Mk16 based regs since it offers a enviromentally sealed diaphram. Apeks is also another good choice, but the ATX 40 I have doesn't breath as well as the Mk25/S600 I have or the atomic reg I tried.

welcome to SB! I would also suggest you cruise around the regulator forum, but in short, you'll also hear scubapro (I have an mk25/G250 setup) and apeks. Can't really go wrong, but it does pay a bit to think about what kind of diving you may want to get into in the next 5-10 years.

If money isn't a concern, go for the Atomic M1. Great performance, very durable & reliable. I love mine!

A good idea as far as regs go is to look at what the tec guys are diving with - they need reliability & performance. Around here, I've noticed most of them diving with either the M1 or else one of the Apeks models (the DIR guys mostly).

Welcome to the the board and diving.

I started with the scuba pro MK10/R190 combo and have had no problems at all.

Recently upgraded to Scuba Pro MK25/G250HP. Which breaths better and is easier to pack and store. I would recommend this combo.

What is available and easy to get serviced in your area should also come into play.

Mike

I would also recommend Atomic I have used a lot of brands and have found Atomic to be my favorite. I use a M1 and a T1x, if you are considering advanced Nitrox I would go with the M1.

Apeks, scuba pro and Poseidon are also very good regs. Apeks is a good value and scuba pro is easy to find parts for, they have good distribution worldwide. Poseidon is nice but some time harder to service and more on the tech side.

Can’t go wrong with any of those brands.

Most of it is personal preference.

For me living in the Bahamas it is about what reg. I can get serviced. I always used the higher end Dacors, and have switched to Dacor Viper Metals which I am very happy with.

The Atomics are a great reg. but with no dealer here, I decided against them. You also cannot go wrong with Posidon, but they tend to be very pricey, also I have no dealer here for them either!!!

Just make sure what reg you get is certified to UNI-EN 250. That is an EC standard and I would only get one that was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom