What Regulator For Changing Over To Dir Configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's a can of worms you'll have to read up on, but the gist of it is that there is no way to formally standardize sidemount, and as such they use it as a mission specific option *i.e. if backmount doubles won't fit in the hole, then they'll go in with sidemount*, and they believe team diving is safer than solo diving, so they don't advocate it. I don't believe they expressly forbid either of them, but they certainly don't recommend it. Also of note, GUE doesn't use the term DIR any more though they coined it. GUE does, and they advocate sidemount because AG has some wacky "solution" for it, but it terrifies me.

. . . I asked my Fundies instructor too, of course, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet . . .

That.

You can't go wrong with having your backup reg the same as your primary. Keep in mind that you aren't required to have some kind of "optimal" set up for Fundies--just one that minimally complies with GUE standards. From what I could see, people who take the course in Rec configuration show up for class with all kinds of things that don't look like what I see on the cave divers--I know I did--and it may be good enough to get them through the class, even though the instructor might suggest changes for the longer term if they decide to continue with GUE. Bottom line is, as you know, check with your instructor.

And remember: Keep the fun in Fundies! Best dive instruction I have ever gotten. A lot of work, and a lot of fun.

It's kinda been covered, but the preferred reg is a matching high performance second stage to your primary. If not, a decent second stage that can be configured optimally with a necklace should be fine. The low profile octo's can be difficult to necklace.

It's kinda been covered, but the preferred reg is a matching high performance second stage to your primary. If not, a decent second stage that can be configured optimally with a necklace should be fine. The low profile octo's can be difficult to necklace.

not quite, for GUE I believe they prefer the secondary to be a high performance unbalanced, non-adjustable, though that is not really significant. The Halcyon branded regs are copies of the G250 series and the R195 I think. Not that it makes any significant difference. I prefer them to be matching, but I believe the GUE "preferred" is to have unbalanced secondary.

"Many divers prefer a high-performance, balanced, second stage as their primary regulator, and a slightly lower performance, unbalanced, second stage as their backup."
whether or not you buy into that, is what it is.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
read up on that, and read the books GUE has published, they are quite good

Hi guys,

I have been diving a typical recreational reg config with an Aqualung Legend Twilight and an Apeks Egress octo. I love the Legend and am fine with the Egress. But, I'm taking Fundies in June and I don't think the Egress is going to work on a bungee (at least my instructor expressed some reservations).

If budget is allowed, get another Legend 2nd stage. If budget is tight, get something like a HOG classic 2nd stage. They are inexpansive, performs great, and very simple and reliable.

not quite, for GUE I believe they prefer the secondary to be a high performance unbalanced, non-adjustable, though that is not really significant. The Halcyon branded regs are copies of the G250 series and the R195 I think. Not that it makes any significant difference. I prefer them to be matching, but I believe the GUE "preferred" is to have unbalanced secondary.

"Many divers prefer a high-performance, balanced, second stage as their primary regulator, and a slightly lower performance, unbalanced, second stage as their backup."
whether or not you buy into that, is what it is.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
read up on that, and read the books GUE has published, they are quite good

True Tom,

But you might be suprised what is acceptable when they show up to do fundies. Now when they finish, things can be different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom