What Regulator For Changing Over To Dir Configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laikabear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

I have been diving a typical recreational reg config with an Aqualung Legend Twilight and an Apeks Egress octo. I love the Legend and am fine with the Egress. But, I'm taking Fundies in June and I don't think the Egress is going to work on a bungee (at least my instructor expressed some reservations).

I don't have experience with many different types of regulators. In my classes the shop rented us Aqualung Titan regs which breathed fine but I decided to go a step up to the Legend when I bought my own. I have TMJ disorder and my jaw will get really sore after holding a heavy reg or one that tends to pull to the side. The Legend has been great in that regard (it's on a braided hose which I guess I will be discarding in favor of a long hose).

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a secondary second stage for the bungeed backup. I'm strongly considering just getting a Legend octo but wanted some opinions. I asked my Fundies instructor too, of course, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I dive a lot in So Cal in ~55F water, but also plan to travel and may go to colder water.

Also, this may seem like a silly question, but can I get the regular Legend second stage without the first stage? I'd rather not get a yellow regulator for putting on the bungee. It looks like the ones specifically designed as octos only come with yellow accents. My twilight is purple but plain black would be fine.

Thanks!

I have not bought any Aqua Lung regs, but you should be able to get a second 2nd stage Legend...

I think you will be fine with them. I have a good friend who uses them and he is a GUE graduate...

As far as I can remember the basic requirement is that it will be a high performance regulator that will breathe easily at depth to prevent CO2 retention and all its attendant problems. Of course putting your secondary on a bungee will have practical consequences (like the egress). It also has to be "detunable" (w/ cracking effort knob) to prevent freeflow in cases when you are facing a stiff current. I do not know if the requirement that the 2nd stage cover be removable at depth without tools to facilitate removal of debris (which shouldn't happen if your regs are properly clipped off) still stands. In short your proposed solution to get a 2nd legend 2nd stage will work.

My side mount instructor uses them of course they are Omni Swivels,

OmniSwivel

they won't be allowed in fundies. Regarding the jaw fatigue, the long hose will actually probably help you out. The Egress will technically go on a suicide strap, but it is less than ideal with the hose outlet coming out at an angle. You would have to ask your friendly Aqualung dealer if they can order a normal second stage separately. Try calling Dive Right in Scuba, they'll have an answer for you. Not seeing anything in the classifieds here, but i'd check these out
scuba gear
$150, it's an aqualung titan reg set. Doesn't necessarily match yours, but who cares. Grab the primary off of it for your secondary, and then you'll have a spare first and second stage.

scuba boot camp basically where the instructors break all of the bad diving habits that inferior instructors bestowed upon most divers while trying to prepare them for the rigorous technical courses in GUE. Also for those who believe that that style of diving is better and safer than the way they were trained, because it is...

It isn't for everyone, they don't do sidemount yet, and solo diving is off limits, all team based, but it is the only class where you are guaranteed to have your butt kicked and come out a better diver at the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom