What regulator do you use as your backup reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halo/Spro G250 or Apeks xtx200 Primary, Aura or R195 scubapro.

The low spec scubapro regs work great as second- almost never have to mess with them even in 42 degree water.
A high spec reg tuned down is fine, i did this for a while as well with a second xtx200) but moved it to my dedicated single tank setup, there was a a bit of fussing with it sometimes.

The thing with a reg turned down is that the increased seat pressure over time puts a deep groove in it. So when you open it up it it leaks.

So your buddy is oog and now you adjust your backup, and it's dribbling gas? Stick with an unbalanced reg and this doesn't happen.

True.. which is why both of my sets of seconds are unbalanced now. But one should also service their regs which should catch the wear problem, hopefully.

That is taking a leap, i know.

I'm not the scuba police.... you need to answer that question for yourself :)

I service mine when they act up.

If somethin' ain't right I grab another one out of my big pile of regulators and carry on.

I have 2 sets for twinsets: 1 with G250V for both primary and secondairy. And the other with XTX40 turned into XTX50 (adjustable screw), bot for primary and backup reg. My recreational set has 2 mk17 first stages and then an R395 as backup and X650 as primary reg. For stages I use apeks and aqualung Titan LX supreme. I have used the Titans first on my twinset.
I have taken my regs on dives over 110m, and it doesn't matter if you breathe from the G250V or from an XTX50. The regs must give gas. The intermediate pressure of the first stages is 9 bar, I screwed it down from 9.5 to 9.

With the scubapro ones, I pull out the pin to hold the cover of the second stage. I want to clean them at the divesite if I want. The covers of Apeks and Aqualung are not soo tight I cannot get them off myself by hand.

Last weekend I had a student with a leaking second stage (seat in the second stage), we took it off (only the second stage), screwed one of my regs on and we did the dive. The second stage does not know if the the first stage if from another brand. There is just an hose between it, so apeks can be used with scubapro etc. It is officially not CE, but the intermediate pressure has to be ok. And 9.5 bar Apeks is 9.5 bar Aqualung or Scubapro.

A second stage can normally have some overpressure before freeflow. So normally a first stage that moves from 9.5 bar to 10.5 bar will not directly give a freeflow. An balanced first stage gives at surface 9.5 bar, but at 100m it is not that the first stage does not work anymore because it still has 9.5 bar, but has an pressure balanced to the ambient pressure, so there is still an overpressure of about 9.5 bar. That was an question I got when I did my first 100m dive, where my regs still working? Yes. But the 9.5 bar intermediate pressure and you was at 11 bar ambient pressure, so did you still get some gas to breathe? Good question :D :D

Atx50

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom