What regs are you using for stage/deco cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bork-it

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm currently using Apeks xtx40's wtih DS4's with my stage & deco cylinders, I'm wondering if there are better options?

Used Mk25/20s and G250(HP)s that I purchase used off ebay and get serviced. On average it was $300-400 total including SPGs, hoses, regs, and service. Maybe a little more for Mk20s or G250HPs that I want to upgrade to current standards.

But I pick and choose sniping only the cheapest regs.

since it says you are in the UK, I would stay with Apeks, maybe consider upgrading the XTX40's to the 50's when they go in for their next service since it's a simple kit to install but there is nothing out there that is appreciably better than what you have to warrant changing from a performance basis. You are also supporting local manufacturing in the UK which is good.

If you were not in the UK then there would be other reasons that I would argue may merit changing, but to support a local manufacturing operation when you have cheap access to parts and service over there, there isn't really a good reason to go looking elsewhere

I like to keep my regulators consistent across back gas, stages, and deco bottles so I can switch them around if needed. I love my Scubapro G250s and G250Vs and purchased quite a few Dive Rite XT1s from a shop that was going out of business. Also have quite a few Scubapro mk25s which I primarily use for back gas. If you tune everything consistently and keep a standard IP on your first stages, you can usually swap them around without issue which is great if you have an issue in the field.

since it says you are in the UK, I would stay with Apeks, maybe consider upgrading the XTX40's to the 50's when they go in for their next service since it's a simple kit to install but there is nothing out there that is appreciably better than what you have to warrant changing from a performance basis. You are also supporting local manufacturing in the UK which is good.

If you were not in the UK then there would be other reasons that I would argue may merit changing, but to support a local manufacturing operation when you have cheap access to parts and service over there, there isn't really a good reason to go looking elsewhere
I am UK based, all my regs are Apeks, mostly XTX200's and XTX50's, I just ended up with loads of XTX40 which ended up using for all my stage/deco cylinders. But good idea on changing them to XTX50's.

I use SP mk19/g260 set for bottom gas (SM)
For deco my instructor had an AL core (with auto closure) and he lent it to me during the course, I liked it a lot so I got myself one
I have an DST4 that’s o2 clean that I got before going into tec; if I need more than one deco gas I might use it,

I’ve been scavenging and restoring quite a few g250s and mk10s (4, 6 respectively) now and I’m considering brining them into this mess but not sure how
The mk19 definitely outperform them at depth and for o2 I have no trace of the correct service kits
Honestly i wish I could find o2 clean HP seats (teflon I rhink) for the mk10, they’d be ideal for deco

Deco regs don’t have to be high demand at all, since gas density tends to be (for sure) lower at 21m(50%) and 6m than bottoms.
DS4/xtx40/50 sounds great btw — i would have chosen them as well

I tend to use MK5s (I have the elusive MK5 DIN fittings) and 109s for stages, and I use a MK2 and 108 for my O2 reg. The MK2 has 3 o-rings exposed to high pressure, none dynamic. Two of them are on the DIN fitting (tank and retainer seal) and the other is on the single HP port. The seat is a very small plug of plastic and SP makes an O2 compatible seat. I don’t think there’s a better 1st stage for high FO2 mixes.

I tend to use MK5s (I have the elusive MK5 DIN fittings) and 109s for stages, and I use a MK2 and 108 for my O2 reg. The MK2 has 3 o-rings exposed to high pressure, none dynamic. Two of them are on the DIN fitting (tank and retainer seal) and the other is on the single HP port. The seat is a very small plug of plastic and SP makes an O2 compatible seat. I don’t think there’s a better 1st stage for high FO2 mixes.

The Mark 2 Evo adds an additional O-ring for the now replaceable HP orifice. Increased the flow rate and made the body slightly more compact.

There are inexpensive (non-Evo) clones of the Mark 2, I think DGX has one.

Back
Top Bottom