What photo editing software do you use on a MS Windows platform?

What photo editing software do you use on a MS Windows platform?

• Corel Paintshop Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xara Photo & Graphic Designer

• Serif Photoplus

• ACDSee Photo Editor

• JASC Paintshop Pro

• Dell Picture Studio Image Expert

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I read many postings on photo editing software, so I downloaded trial versions of different editing programs for Microsoft Windows that was recommended. Now I'm even more confused, I know I need to spend more time learning each one of these programs, but honestly, I don't think I'm up to the task. That’s why I made this survey; I will concentrate my efforts on learning the one editing software that appears to be most used by you all that know what you're doing. I also believe others feel like me and would benefit from the results.

The list comes from suggestions on this forum, if you would like to, please list why you use the software you selected.

Photoshop, but I can't claim to know what I am doing - just enough to be dangerous.

I've used Lightroom 3.6 and recently moved up to LR5. It's really designed for processing digital photos and does a great job, especially if shooting RAW.

It all depends on what are you shooting and what you want to do with it.

For me the best option is Photoshop Elements since I can use the RAW editor, also layers (I find them very useful) and you have a very good control, but it misses some features that Photoshop CS has that I don't know how to use nor need.

I have heard of Photoshop Lightroom, lots of photographers use it but it has no layers so I don't use it and have not tried.

GIMP is a free software option, I used it once but find it too complicated (it might have changed, it was a long time ago).

I would not recommend any software that comes free or along with some hardware (camera, printer, computer, etc.) since they are either free trials, not completely functional or not very good. But for simple color enhancing or retouching those might do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My biggest issue is over and under exposure. This is easy fix for RAW images in Lightroom.
Yes it can be fixed in post, but you are well advised to get it correct in camera, then you will have way more better (as my 4th grade english teacher cringes) images.
Bill

---------- Post added June 30th, 2013 at 05:53 PM ----------

Check out Gimp
Every bit as powerful as photoshop and it's free
It is indeed free and worth at least twice that. GIMP is NOT Photoshop and while it is indeed useful the learning curve will make you cringe. GIMP is one of those ideas that are great technically and it is a tour de force of programming but very few folks actually use it (flame on) for productive work. Take a class at your local community college if you can't afford lightroom or find a kid in school to buy it for you (just kidding, Adobe). GIMP is one of those ideas like making your own housing, a neat idea but if you are serious about UW photography then you will end up buying something you can be productive with.
Bill

I've previously used Photoshop CS5, but have recently become a convert to Lightroom. I find it much easier to use, it has all the tools I need on the RHS panel so I don't have to go searching for things, and I don't get bogged down sorting through menus. Photoshop is great, but for the average person who just needs a few simple to use tools to improve photos (if it needs more work then it probably isn't worth spending time trying to fix it:wink:), Lightroom is a winner!

I'm using photoshop 7. Started with version 2 or 3 and upgraded annually. Made the mistake of missing an upgrade and now Adobe won't give me a discount anymore.

Photoshop is great, powerful, and difficult to use. There's tons of training you can take for it (more than there is for diving, I'd bet). People make their living operating this software.

It's also expensive.

If you know a bit about photo editing, the GIMP can do pretty much anything photoshop can do. It's slightly less user friendly imo. Significantly less training is available.

I used to use paint shop pro years ago. I has some nice features, and best of all it's very intuitive. Jasc and Corel Paint Shop Pro are the same software. Corel bought it from JASC (or they might have purchased Jasc outright). If you don't want to put a significant effort into learning photo editing software this is a good choice.

I moved from PSP to photoshop (and some GIMP for automation) after a few years. There's still a few things that I find to be quicker in PSP, like cheesy photo frame effects.

Back
Top Bottom