What part of summer to visit Bay Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hopefulist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're planning 3 weeks between Utila and Roatan for next summer. Any advice on best times to go (between mid June and mid August): weather? whale sharks? festivals? full moons?

I realize summer isn't the hot season for whale sharks but wonder if any time in that time frame would be better than others. :14:

In your case, as soon as school gets out! You will enjoy the break at that time the best.

Remember summer is hurricane season, although they are rare. The later in the summer, the hotter it gets. The earlier, the better chance of seeing a whale shark.

Any time someone can get away from all that constant wind in The Dalles is good.

Later, Hawk.

hopefulist:
Whale shark sightings linked with moon phases?

I can't answer that, I haven't gotten a chance to see one yet. I will see one next March when I head back to CoCoiew for two weeks! No doubt in my mind!

Whenever you get a chance to go will be great. If it were my own trip I had to plan for the summer, I would make it as early as possible. Everyone has to make up their own mind though as to what is best for them. I take it you cannot make it earlier due to being a teacher? How about spring break? Do you get those? Oh well, good luck.

Later, Hawk.

For Climate details in the Bay Islands, check out the Weather & Climate page on www.AboutUtila.com. April - August is traditionally the hottest and driest. The hurricane season is officially June to November with the peak season being August - October.

Check out the Whale Shark pages on www.AboutUtila.com for details of Whale Shark season - traditional
ly March - April & August - September, peaking March - April. Also for details of Whale Shark sightings 2005 peak season.

Festivals in Utila - Cessation Day (British cede Bay Islands to Honduras) - 22-April, Carnaval 3rd week in July, Sun Jam 1st week in August, Independence Day 15-September, and of course Semana Santa (Easter) whenever in April/May.

Full Moon - Once a month - get an almanac to find out when. Always a "Full Moon Beach Party" down at Chepes Beach every Full Moon - April - Spetember.

Hope this helps - Mark

Thanks for all the input - appreciated! My husband and I are both teachers, hence the summer trips. This will be our 5th trip to Central America and we like to stay for 3+ weeks so have never gone over spring break. It looks as though we'll head down in the middle of the summer to hit the best bonefish tides. I realize my chances of seeing a whale shark are slim and if I don't....just another excuse to return and try again!

Sea Lice hatch around second week of April through second week in June....
I have never been stung but have been with alot of folks who have.... Most Dive Masters will be wearing hoods in this time period.....

I like Late June through early August the best.............

We saw 3 whale sharks / 2 pods of Pilot whales / and several Hammer heads in the month of July right in front of Gibson Bite "Roatan"....

Back
Top Bottom