What order to buy when getting started?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YukonJack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I am a newly certified OW diver and looking to gear up. I know I shouldn't consider buying gear, but I like gear, so I am going to likely gear up :).

I live in New Mexico and can drive about 1 1/2 hours to the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa for practice dives and to learn better skills (buoyancy first!). I will likely travel to Mexico and Central America for dive trips during the summer where I can get three or four dive trips in at a time. I have a shorty wetsuit (3 mil), and a dive computer. I have been wondering about whether I go regulator first and then BC, or vice versa? I found a nicely (lightly) used BC with Air2 and alternate air source on EBay for a good deal, but not sure I can use it if I need to rent a regulator. Can I rent a regulator without an Octo?

Looking forward to advice from all of you experienced divers here.

Thanks!

Greg

i bought a dive computer first and rented gear for my first dive trip. bought a bc, wetsuit, and regs to dive locally. tanks after that.

i made some pretty poor choices on that first set of gear though. ended up selling all of it without much use. sold the zoop to get an oceanic vt, sold the titan regs when i bought a tx50/dst (because i needed a din fitting for the 3500 psi tanks i got), sold the ZET after one dive trip because i bought a bpw for local diving because i needed more lift with the farmer john, and sold the wetsuit when i bought a drysuit. still have the pair of al80s but rarely dive them.

if you get the air 2, you will need to bring the special inflator hose or regulator hose adapter for the rental regs. you can ask the shop to remove the regular octo and plug it for you.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have gotten hog regs (can be serviced DIY) and backplate / wing from the git-go. I would have skipped toys like the air2. BTW I have a nice jacket bc with airsource for sale:wink:

Hi. Enjoy your gear purchases.

Here's my thoughts as a diver who dives locally and also travels with full gear (minus weights)

Just a warning your first set of equipment won't be your last so don't stress too much. Buy used and resell used when you want to upgrade.

If you're sure you don't want rental gear while traveling and would like to carry equipment I recommend a regulator and bcd at the same time. Here or craigslist or facebook.

If you can only get one get the regulator. A rental badly fitting or failing bcd can make a dive uncomfortable but a rental regulator failure can ruin a dive for sure.

All the best!
Cameron

I have a shorty wetsuit (3 mil), and a dive computer. I have been wondering about whether I go regulator first and then BC, or vice versa?

Good call on getting the dive computer first.

I would wait until you can get your regs and BC at the same time, but if I had to choose, I'd say regs first. People vomit in those things.

Which to buy first is tough. If you are a common size and typical BCD rentals fit you then I would probably go with the reg set. If tough to fit maybe then the BCD.

The ebay BCD. Be careful and know for sure that it will fit, exchanges or returns can be expensive at best and impossible at worst. And as mentioned the Air2 takes a special inflator hose. Make sure it is included because it can be expensive to purchase separately although DGE does make an adaptor that can be used with any LP hose Adapter: LP Reg Hose = BC Integrated 2nd Stage. And also as mentioned the rental company for your regulator will need to be willing to let you switch out the hoses.

But also consider something like this to go with the BCD and Air2. I have not used them but they have gotten good reviews for their products and customer service on SB.
Deep 6 Gear Aegaeon 1st + 2nd Only Package

BTW. I had all my basic gear before the end of my OW class. I happily dove the back inflate bcd for years until I bought my current bpw and the regulator set is still my primary.

Last edited:
If I ever get over this sinus infection I'll go dive with you. If you fit in an aqualung medium or large BC I might have a deal for you.

But I'd probably start with a dive computer that can be downloaded. It makes logging dives a lot easier and more likely to be done. Then maybe an exposure suit, but if the rentals fit fine than a reg.

The two are probably equally important, though the regulator is your source of air, so maybe that first. I guess a rental BC that doesn't fit perfectly is less dangerous than a rental reg that may fail? There are many threads on this in the past with a gazillion recommendations on what order to get each gear piece. Don't know if there is a right answer.

If I ever get over this sinus infection I'll go dive with you. If you fit in an aqualung medium or large BC I might have a deal for you.

But I'd probably start with a dive computer that can be downloaded. It makes logging dives a lot easier and more likely to be done. Then maybe an exposure suit, but if the rentals fit fine than a reg.

My first (of four) dive instructors was named Kevin. Is that you? If not, I'll dive with you and we can talk deals :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom