What next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gomi_otaku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just moved here in early August after getting my OW certification in early July- in Lake Superior. Other than my pool sessions, and the checkout dives, i haven't been diving, and I'm anxious to get under water here in Seattle. I've been slowly working on what to get for equipment, but I'm still unsure what to do about getting some dives in- for one, I'm a beginner. On my checkout dives I had trouble clearing my ears, but hopefully I've figured that out now, but at the time I had some slow descents to 30', and I don't want to drag somebody down who is looking for a fun dive rather than waiting for the newbie to catch up. Also, I'm totally unsure as to what kind of weight requirements I'm going to need, as I will be using equipment that is new to me and diving in Salt instead of Fresh water, so I will also need to work on bouyancy control.
So, I guess I'm wondering what others have to offer- I don't want to waste a partner's time while I work out all the kinks in my equipment and ability, and I don't know how to go about finding others willing to go at the pace of a beginner.
thanks for any insights and hints.
gomi_

This is a great place to post . . . I found a wonderful mentor here. There are some very easy, current and tide insensitive dive sites locally (the Seacrest Coves at Alki) to get some practice getting your weight and trim right. I'd offer to dive with you, but I'm still too much of a beginner myself to feel useful to anybody else!

gomi_otaku:
I just moved here in early August after getting my OW certification in early July- in Lake Superior. Other than my pool sessions, and the checkout dives, i haven't been diving, and I'm anxious to get under water here in Seattle. I've been slowly working on what to get for equipment, but I'm still unsure what to do about getting some dives in- for one, I'm a beginner. On my checkout dives I had trouble clearing my ears, but hopefully I've figured that out now, but at the time I had some slow descents to 30', and I don't want to drag somebody down who is looking for a fun dive rather than waiting for the newbie to catch up. Also, I'm totally unsure as to what kind of weight requirements I'm going to need, as I will be using equipment that is new to me and diving in Salt instead of Fresh water, so I will also need to work on bouyancy control.
So, I guess I'm wondering what others have to offer- I don't want to waste a partner's time while I work out all the kinks in my equipment and ability, and I don't know how to go about finding others willing to go at the pace of a beginner.
thanks for any insights and hints.
gomi_
Well, welcome to the Seattle area and to ScubaBoard. Hope you enjoy both environments! There's a great deal to learn in both places but Puget Sound is a bit more demanding than ScubaBoard, so its wise of you to try to find a mentor to start off with. :)

I'll dive with you. I'm not an expert by any means, still learning in fact, but I've been diving for awhile now and have a few things figured out. I suspect I'll be able to assist you in getting your weight requirements figured out and a few other essential details.

I live about 3 hours east of Seattle. I'll be heading over there to do some diving sometime in October. I'll give you a PM or email when I'm planning on making the trip, and have no problems doing some beginner dives over at Alki or Edmonds. I'll likely be bringing another inexperienced diver with me, so you won't be slowing me down at all. Another likely destination is Hoodsport, because I know some guys over there and its a good place to do some training dives. Besides, its a real laid back and visually appealing place that you should be familiar with.

Another option for insta-buddies is scuba clubs, there are many in your area.

Enjoy your new diving environments! :D

Doc

There are many of us divers who enjoy diving with the newbies. We recently did a newbie/mentor dive and it was tons of fun. Let us know when you are ready to get out and I am sure many of us will get in and help you learn to love Puget Sound like we do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom