What mount works best with your GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've seen some of the DIY PVC rigs some of you have done, and they're very creative...
I'm a relatively new GoPro owner, and have the headstrap (which would probably work much better with a self-styled chinstrap), and the wristmount. For those of you that have been diving with the GP for a while -- what do you find works best, and just as importantly, most "non-invasively?" I've seen the one-handed pistol grip, and that also has potential. So far, the wristmount seems to be the most innocuous of the mounts...

So... what are you using, and what are your experiences with the different mounts?

Thanks!

I've only used it on one trip so far (about 9 dives in total) but I've been happy with the "goodman" handle that I fabricated:

5791200503_a52025b27f.jpg

5791200613_bc5cd085bc.jpg

It was easy to hold onto, keeps the camera relatively steady, and with the coil cord, stowed well enough to not get in the way for entries and exits. Since it slips over your hand, you can still use your fingers somewhat if necessary without stowing the camera.

I found it comfortable as well sometimes to use it two-handed, held out in front of me.

Great idea, thanks!
Have you considered sliding a short length of pipe foam over the handle? The increased girth might make it more comfortable to hang onto, and I don't believe 4 or 5 inches would add that much buoyancy

RubberFoamPipeTube03.jpg

I have a pistol grip style hand mount I made for when I'm diving purely for taking video this is attached to my BCD with an extendable leash (similar to the leash posted in the above pic) so I can let go of it if I need my hands free. I find you want a fairly heavy hand mount to keep the cameras more steady as they are fairly light and needs a bit of weight to aid in video stability IMHO.

Here is a video I made using the hand hold method

[video=vimeo;24424457]http://vimeo.com/24424457[/video]

Above video also available in 3D on youtube here

On other dives where I just want to dive and record the full dive I find the head strap, with a custom chin strap or you can put your hood over the headband which works just as well. I find this to be the best non intrusive method, I can just turn the camera on before entering the water and let it roll until Im back on the boat.

A headstrap + chin strap video here

[video=vimeo;21877628]http://vimeo.com/21877628[/video]

In r3 mode if the angle is setup well this can produce some pretty good video but if you want to get some close up shots of fish its best to hand hold the camera.

Yeah, I built it with the idea that some foam might work there. Actually a little positive buoyancy wouldn't be bad. Right now it's negative, so if you drop it, it sinks! (Hence the coil lanyard). Another thing that Still isn't 100% is using holes to adjust the opening - with 1/4" threaded rod thru the tubing handle, adjustments are a little course. Slotting might work, or moving to thinner all-thread to permit closer side hole spacing.

In any case, the $8 GoPro tripod adaptors are a great way to start any DIY mount project. Only hard part is finding 1/4-20 screws the right length - the tripod adaptor doesn't have many threads. I ended up grinding down the stainless 1/4-20 screw to get the right length.

I use a Handlebar mount,....i mount it on the right handle of my camera setup with my S90 + tray and 2 lights, with the handlebar mount + the extra pivot mounts i got with the motorsport kit, i am able to have the gopro infront of me next to my s90 and also be able to pivot it 180 degrees around if i ever wanted to shoot myself or behind me....

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm going to be using the Eye of Mine Rod Extension available on THIS page. This guy has some other mounting solutions on this page as well.

I like the idea of a pole because it will hopefully let me get closer to sea life w/o scaring it away- maybe just wishful thinking (As opposed to having something mounted on a pistol grip). Also, you can take shots looking back at you if you turn the camera towards you w. the pole extended while you're swimming.

EAXP_red-rod-sm.jpg

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm going to be using the Eye of Mine Rod Extension available on THIS page. This guy has some other mounting solutions on this page as well.

I like the idea of a pole because it will hopefully let me get closer to sea life w/o scaring it away- maybe just wishful thinking (As opposed to having something mounted on a pistol grip). Also, you can take shots looking back at you if you turn the camera towards you w. the pole extended while you're swimming.

View attachment 99270

I have one and used it last time I went out- it works relatively well as a handle, but is a bit "loose" so the camera can move on you. It worked very well to get into some tighter areas- just extend the handle and stick it down there! I also got some great shots of myself by pushing the extension all the way out to the end and pointing the camera back. If I ever get around to editing the video I'll post it.

And +1 on making it neutral- I dropped mine as I was boarding (thought I had it clipped off- and well, didn't :shakehead:). Lets just say it sinks as fast as I could descend, and was happy the boat was only in 35' of water.

Marty, great videos... thanks for the comparison.

How did you fashion the chinstrap? I'm comfortable with the headstrap, assuming light/no current, and backroll entry, but anything else, and I've no doubt the thing will execute its *own* dive profile...

I just hold the camera by it self and haven't noticed any sort of problem in the videos... I also have a mount that lets me attach it to my Camera housing so I can take video of everything I point my camera at as well. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom