What mil wetsuit to wear off nyc area??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotsmart

Registered
Reaction score
hey guys, rookie question and I know there are a lot of variables... but .. if any of you guys dive off the Jersey shore im interested in how thick your suit is.. I plan on going in the summer when surface temps range in the 70's.. however I realize 30-60' down it'll be a different story

thanks
J

What dates specifically?

70's so is that May-June or Sept-Oct. I am going to assume May-June when the water is still pretty chilly even at shallower depths.

Water was ~40 degrees in early May, use that as a reference point.

I would say drysuit. If that is not an option, Farmer John 7mm with 5mm hood.

I would not dive with less than a 7mm single piece and some kind of hood/vest combo.

Without knowing any details or exact

At least a 7mm, or 7mm farmer john if you tend to get cold. Drysuit is better.

What dates specifically?

Primarily June, July, August, September.. we have a boat in Raritan bay , so I plan on going off Sandy hook.. surface temp was usually 78 this summer..

Any of you guys want to hook up let me know, I'd love to have some experience d dive buddies to go with.. only ask you bring a sandwich for yourself and beers

As far as gear, I have everything but a hood and tanks

Thanks for the feedback
Jason

I went diving last week in ny. right now the water is about 50 at 85 feet. I use a 7mm wetsuit and a hood 3 mill 3 mill gloves and booties. its not bad but in a few weeks im gonna wish I had a drysuit. spring is cold as well.

Dove yesterday a little south of sandy hook off of long branch. Water temp was 59 deg to 55 feet Felt fine in a 7mm full suit with hood and 7mm gloves and boots. That suit combo is good for me down to about 50 deg. Above 65 deg I wear my 3mm. Two guys I dove with both wore 7mm full suits gloves and boots, one with a separate hood. They didn't complain about the temperature either.

Let's do some dives. We might be able to get some local dives in before the weather gets too cold

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom