What makes a great dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off it does not make a difference to me if my dive buddy is Male or Female because to me at all times weather there diving , working or what ever the male and female are equal . Ok with that said i just happened to have both a male and a Female for dive buddies and what i look for is there knowledge of the area were diving, how safe they are,we always make a dive plan,we always check each other gear out before we dive, we all know first aid and what to do just in Case.We know each other s range of depth and not try to show up the other person with doing stupid thing s.We also never get out of on es sight.

I dive solo most of the time but it is nice to dive with another photographer. So I would say I look for another good solo diver..:D

Wants to dive 24/7 ... Just like me... I am a self supporting diver but still like the social aspect of diving.

So yeah Male Female Old Young... WHO CARES? Just gotta wanna dive

Well, you posted this in the "Women's Views" part of the site, so I am assuming you would really like the opinion of some women :)

What I want in a buddy is what everybody else wants, pretty much -- somebody who is on the same wavelength, who has the same expectations of the dive and is willing to dive the same way I want to dive. I want somebody to be honest about what they can and cannot or will and will not do. I, personally, want a thorough dive planning discussion, a head-to-toe equipment check, and a bubble check in the water.

But perhaps uniquely as a woman, I also want somebody who isn't going to get p.o.ed if my navigation isn't perfect or I mess up a drill or we have a communications difficulty underwater. My least favorite dives are the ones where, no sooner have our heads broken water than the argument begins.

Everything TS&M mentioned plus:

A SAC rate of no more than .5 on a bad day.

I have to admit my favorite dive buddy is my DIR hubby who has the SAC rate of a dead fish at .35

I think I would also like a buddy who can pick out things I'm doing wrong or that I can improve upon, and not be afraid of telling me once we are on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom