What Makes a Diver "DIR" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
O.K. Serious question.

What are the "qualifications" to be considered a DIR diver?

This was touched on in another thread and seems to be lots of confusion.

One opinion is that you can be DIR in a jacket BC and Octopus. Another is that you are not DIR even after passing Fundies. A third is that it is possible to be DIR without any GUE training.

So what does it mean to say

"I am a DIR diver" ?

Thats a good question... i dont even know what DIR means, or fundies, or GUE. but I see this around other threads and have been curious myself

O.K. Serious question.

What are the "qualifications" to be considered a DIR diver?

This was touched on in another thread and seems to be lots of confusion.
The only people that are confused are the ones that do not understand it. (Which only makes sense). But the problem is that the same people post "answers" so it makes it hard to distingusih whats right vs whats wrong.

One opinion is that you can be DIR in a jacket BC and Octopus.
You can't be.

Another is that you are not DIR even after passing Fundies.
Fundies is just a class. You take class "An introduction to the Human Body"...does that make someone a surgeon?

A third is that it is possible to be DIR without any GUE training.
DIR is just a set of policies and procedures for diving. GUE teaches them, but they are not the only source of that information.

So what does it mean to say

"I am a DIR diver" ?
It means that if you log into Scubaboard and own a BP/Wing and want to call themselves DIR.

Ianr - for me personally "DIR diver" is just a name - a label. All I ever want from a dive is to have fun and come back safely without silting up the vis or causing stress to anyone I'm diving with.
I think most divers have the potential to do this but what sets the "DIR diver" aside is the willingness to try to make it happen consistently rather than haphazardly.

I have to work at my diving - nothing comes easy to me - I have little natural ability and I don't communicate well over web forums - yes I have some GUE training but the real learning comes in translating that training to a consistent standard in my normal fun dives. I am not good - in fact I'm crap but I do try to make an effort to improve my diving and if I come back from a dive with a smile on my face then I'm happy.

DIR is just a set of policies and procedures for diving. GUE teaches them, but they are not the only source of that information.

It's more than that, though... isn't it, Jeff. It also includes minimizing risks and improving efficiency by having a serious approach to physical fitness. So... it involves more than just diving. In that sense, it actually involves every day living. Is that fair to say?

It's more than that, though... isn't it, Jeff.
No

It also includes minimizing risks and improving efficiency by having a serious approach to physical fitness.
Which is covered under "Policy"

So... it involves more than just diving. In that sense, it actually involves every day living. Is that fair to say?
Well, people do like to throw around the word holistic. But as far as I can see...I haven't been told who to breed with. What job to take :wink:

The only thing "outside" diving is just the understanding that fitness plays a part in your diving.

The minute I saw this thread I wanted to delete it so I would not have to monitor it. Feel free to discuss the topic but understand that posts that don't attempt to actually answer the question will go bye bye.

The only thing "outside" diving is just the understanding that fitness plays a part in your diving.

More than just an understanding, though. I mean it involves a dedication to fitness. I realize that's relative and that it is more important as the dives get bigger. But still... DIR includes at least some commitment to this. And health and physical fitness is a lifestyle... not just a whim.

I'm serious... I'm not suggesting that DIR dictates everything done in life... but I believe it involves this particular aspect.

Maybe I'm wrong... but it seems to me that fitness is core to doing it right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom