What makes a DIR buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Quoted from Cytech Divers;
The "Doing It Right" (D.I.R.) system evolved out of the
exacting demands of the world's most extreme exploration
diving, yet the approach has rapidly gained favour among
all levels of divers.
Everyone benefits from a system that makes the underwater
experience safer and more comfortable. The DIR system
is much more than an equipment configuration. It is a diving
style that ensures every aspect of each dive represents safety,
fun and efficiency.

Care to explain....?

I hate to say this, but I think that in order to understand the GUE definition of "teamwork" you have to take the classes and be shown it. It simply isn't discribable. I've never really fundamentally advanced my understanding of "teamwork" off of reading this off of the internet like its advanced in moments in GUE classes where its been shown to me.

And I usually hate the "just take the class" answer, since I think a lot of things about GUE and DIR could really be promoted better by being written down and disseminated widely. When it comes to teamwork, though, I think if a picture is worth a thousand words, that a GUE class video is worth a million scubaboard posts.

RTodd:
Some of it is pretty technical, such as, move to this position based on my light and keep your light positioned here when I am leading you through a halocline in a cave at full pitch on the scooter and you can't see.

For example, here RTodd is describing something which I can certainly read and comprehend and makes sense, but in reality I don't have the background to understand it at all. Right now thats like the outline of a wreck at the limits of the visibility. I've got enough background from RecTriox and DIRF that I can appreciate the work that must go into that level of teamwork, but I know I don't know anything about it.

What gets really scary is that on the gavinscooters mailing list someone asked what the WKPP needed to do in order to integrate divers that came out of GUE training and Casey answered: "teamwork".

Uncle Pug:
Close.
1) The question is wrong and embodies a misunderstanding. To answer it on its own terms is to deepen that misunderstanding.
2) DIR is all about TEAM... an entirely different concept and one that cannot be learned outside actual TEAM experience.
3) Take a DIR fundamentals class.

While answers along this line are obviously unsatisfying to those who want it otherwise... this is the correct answer none the less. One reason we have so many psuedo-DIR cyber divers sharing misinformation is that they *learned* their DIR by gleaning *details* from the internet.

While sharing tidbits to pique interest has been the scheme, the goal has always been to get people into the water... ie, take the class.

Learning mountain climbing can't be done on the internet either. Neither can parachute jumping, driving a car, raising children and a million other things, including scuba diving at the recreational level.

However, even though you have to experience what sticking needles in your eyes feels like it to *really* connect with other people who have stuck needles in their eyes, I bet you'd find that there are even ways--however incomplete--to describe *that* feeling. I mean for crying out loud....people even talk about near-death experiences more open-heartedly than this and if there's one thing you need to experience to understand it.......

What I find odd isn't the question, it's the refusal to address it on the one hand and the refusal to offer any guidance in coming to a more properly worded question on the other. I really don't believe that with the intelligence and creativity we have on scubaboard that we're unable to sketch the context that we're talking about (even at table-of-contents level) and that we have to fall back on what I'm seeing as the discussion stopping answer "take the course".

It's good that not all questions are met with this answer or scubaboard would lose its raison d'etre.

This thread did teach us one thing. There really is a "complete misunderstand of the concept of a team". It's the only thing I think we can conclude here. Disappointingly there will be no attempts made to clarify that misunderstanding.

I guess we're done.

R..

lamont:
...to do in order to integrate divers that came out of GUE training and Casey answered: "teamwork".
That is the only logical answer... and it flows easily from the correct question: ..."in order to integrate divers..."

Earlier in this thread Diver0001 asked. "What does someone have to do to function on such a team?" (emphasis added)

It is not what you do but rather what you must be.

To function on such a team you must become a part of the team. You must be an element of the team.

Here is the genesis of the charge that DIR is a cult or like a cult. Of course that charge comes from a lack of understanding but it is (at least to me) understandable given the almost total absence of TEAM thinking in the general diving population. It is a foreign concept.

The DIR fundamentals class begins to set a frame of reference for the concept of TEAM and the later classes build upon it.

Still.. to integrate a newly minted DIR trained diver into an existing Team... teamwork (not technique) must be the focus.

Diver0001:
What I find odd isn't the question, it's the refusal to address it on the one hand and the refusal to offer any guidance in coming to a more properly worded question on the other.
This is the first thread I have taken time with lately to offer more than a few posts. I don't have a lot of time to indulge myself with SB right now but I felt your thread deserved an answer even if it was to a question you couldn't frame correctly through no fault of your own.

While you may still find it odd that your question hasn't been answered I find it odd that you haven't discerned the resounding answer from every DIR trained diver responding to this thread: team.

Uncle Pug:
While you may still find it odd that your question hasn't been answered I find it odd that you haven't discerned the resounding answer from every DIR trained diver responding to this thread: team.

This is the only thing I understood. What I'm missing is context and I can't understand "team" without a context.

That's why I'm still throwing around trying to find the right question and I feel like you're playing with me.

R..

Diver0001:
This thread did teach us one thing. There really is a "complete misunderstand of the concept of a team". It's the only thing I think we can conclude here. Disappointingly there will be no attempts made to clarify that misunderstanding.

It's not because there is no attempts being made, it's because it's not really a concept that can be listed out in a checklist. The trouble is that there is a basic concept that is hard to explain and even more difficult to get.

Diver0001:
I still think it's odd to think of a team as anything but a group of individuals doing something together in a coordinated fashion but I'll accept that I somehow I just don't get it.

See, this is the trouble. It's not a group of individuals, it is a team. As Pug said, it's not about doing, it's about being. It's about being aware of where each member of the team is at any given time of the dive. It's about communicating anything and everything to the other members of the team. It's about being aware, on a subconcious level, of everything you do and how it effects the team. It's about making sure everything you do in the dive is communicated in some way or another to the other members of the team, as well as not doing anything that jepardizes the group as a whole. It's about functioning as one cohesive unit, as opposed to a group of individuals doing something together.

Maybe a few examples are in order, but it still doesn't really get the picture as it's all fairly obvious when you actually grasp the concept. Say your buddy is behind you and stops to look at something. How do you know that they stopped? What do you do when they have stopped? Most likely they would have signalled you to let you know they were stopping. You will know they stopped either actively, because they told you, or passively, because they stopped passive communication [they moved their light beam from your field of view]. Since they are no longer in passive communication with you, it is now your responsibility to establish passive communication with them [since they are looking at something else].

Once you understand the concept of maintaining constant team integrity, things will just start to flow together. Until that concept is understood, the discussion really is fruitless.

Diver0001:
..... What I'm missing is context and I can't understand "team" without a context......

R..
Now I am lost...............

I am done with this thread.

Off to dive with team in context of getting wet safely

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom