What makes a DIR buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ro -

No flames intended, this is an honest question:

Do you have any intentions of taking the class in the future?

Diver0001:
Zooming out then the question becomes, what is the structure, function and rolls in a DIR team.

don't you think that I've spent years reading about DIR on the internet and I still don't understand this.

R..
Yes it does. What it says is that the fundamentals cannot be learned via the internet. The premise as well as the premises is wrong.

Ergo.... we say, "Take the class."

Folks get upset when we do... but it is the correct answer. You can't learn to dive without getting into the water Rotuner... and you won't understand DIR and TEAM without getting your fanny whipped in a fundamentals class. :wink:

You still want the details don't you. OK... the TEAM is structured so that the individuals operate as a TEAM. Then the TEAM functions as a TEAM. The roll each individual fills is that of a part of the TEAM. :D

Uncle Pug:
Yes it does. What it says is that the fundamentals cannot be learned via the internet. The premise as wll as the premises is wrong.

Ergo.... we say, "Take the class."

Folks get upset when we do... but it is the correct answer. You can't learn to dive without getting into the water Rotuner... and you won't understand DIR and TEAM without getting your fanny whipped in a fundamentals class. :wink:

BTW: you still what the details don't you. OK... the TEAM is structured so that the individuals operate as a TEAM. Then the TEAM functions as a TEAM. The roll each individual fills is that of a part of the TEAM. :D
So...as I understand the thread...the correct answer to "What makes someone a DIR buddy?" is....."Taking the class".

I would have to agree that there are definitely some things in life that can only be learnt/understood by doing them.

Its interesting to see that RO asks the same (almost the same) question in the Hogarthian section......

Kim:
So...as I understand the thread...the correct answer to "What makes someone a DIR buddy?" is....."Taking the class".

I would have to agree that there are definitely some things in life that can only be learnt/understood by doing them.
I would even take this one step further, taking Fundies is a first step.........practicing (doing it) the team mentality is another...... I do not pretend to be DIR, but do trust my buddies (TEAM) to dive with and understand what we do and why.

Kim:

Close.
1) The question is wrong and embodies a misunderstanding. To answer it on its own terms is to deepen that misunderstanding.
2) DIR is all about TEAM... an entirely different concept and one that cannot be learned outside actual TEAM experience.
3) Take a DIR fundamentals class.

While answers along this line are obviously unsatisfying to those who want it otherwise... this is the correct answer none the less. One reason we have so many psuedo-DIR cyber divers sharing misinformation is that they *learned* their DIR by gleaning *details* from the internet.

While sharing tidbits to pique interest has been the scheme, the goal has always been to get people into the water... ie, take the class.

Meng_Tze:
I would even take this one step further, taking Fundies is a first step.........practicing (doing it) the team mentality is another...... I do not pretend to be DIR, but do trust my buddies (TEAM) to dive with and understand what we do and why.
Yes...I didn't mean to suggest that simply taking the class was the end. Presumably it's the first step - and further, taking the later classes (and practicing) produces the kind of 'DIR buddy' that is necessary for the Team at that level.

Kim:
Yes...I didn't mean to suggest that simply taking the class was the end. Presumably it's the first step - and further, taking the later classes (and practicing) produces the kind of 'DIR buddy' that is necessary for the Team at that level.
Didnt take it as such... but wanted to clarify :)

I started to respond to this, but I think the current issue flows back to Pug's very first point. It is -not- a question of semantics, it's much deeper than that. A team is -not- a collection of one or more buddies. A team is a group that functions together as one entity. All decisions are made with the team in mind. The number one priority throughout the dive is to maintain an open line of communication with the team.

We have constant debates on here that all come back to one thing... a complete misunderstanding of the concept of a team.

Derek S:
Ro -

No flames intended, this is an honest question:

Do you have any intentions of taking the class in the future?

I don't know what, if anything, my personal development as a diver has to do with the discussion at hand. This isn't about trying to get training on the internet, this is about trying to flush out a core concept so that a lay-person like myself and many others can get it. I hope I can see Meng_Tze's comment as a compliment in that someone is finally asking specific questions about this (even if they *are* still off base and in need to aiming)

Having said that, I nearly took it this year but I weenied (and it was expensive). I'm slowly being taken in by the feeling that not doing it is holding me back.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom