What lures you to go night diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is just something challenging and exhilarating about going out into the black.

Sorry to hear that. You will probably loose a fortune on cave diving courses in the future :D

Yes, darkness is exciting... and calming. You never know what's around the corner - but you can focus on one thing at a time.

All of the above. But even more than night diving, I love early morning diving ... as in before it gets daylight early. Living just a few minutes from a dive site and being someone who's used to getting up before dawn makes it easy ... and nothing beats getting to the dive site and having the whole place to yourself. I'm usually coming out of the water just as the earliest risers (besides me) are pulling into the parking lot. They're past looking at me like I'm some kinda weirdo now, and pretty much confine their comments to "how's the vis?" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The first time, peer pressure. I was on a liveaboard, there was no where else to go. So you went for a night dive. Do one, and you want to do a thousand. Not just the different "vibe" on the reef, but the differnt feel of bein in the water, is amazing. Bioluminescence is amazing. Eels hunting is amazing. Crustacians on the prowl are amazing. Coral pollyps are amazing. Its one of those things to be experienced. Talking about it ( or writing about it) is just inadequate. To borrow from Nike, JUST DO IT. Then you will know.
DivemasterDennis

Flashlights!!! I just love the experience of the darkness and then it gets lit up by the lights. It also makes keeping track of your buddy easy. You might not see them in the periphery but you can see their lights.

The creatures are different, even on the same reef from the day. Turtles go to sleep in the cracks, octopuses venture out and are easier to spot, eels are more active and more likely to be seen swimming. If you are lucky and diving in Hawaii then you might see a parrot fish in the cocoon.

And the bioluminescence with all the light out is always very fun.

For to find the things therein which go... Bump.

For to find the things therein which go... Bump.

... or they find you ... it's exhilarating when something like this just suddenly lunges out of the darkness ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

different creatures at night.

we saw 2 orangeball corallimorph's last night. also a huge reef mantis. tonight we saw those really really tiny shrimp that live on west indian sea eggs. none of these can be found during the day.

Sobriety was the draw for me but now I would rather drink beer than night dive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom