What # lift size you carry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The requirements for IANTD, NAUI and GUE all state one of two things. They state "An SMB or Lift bag", or simply "an smb". None of them state only lift bag or smb and lift bag.

I asked what lb lift bag people like to use, Im faliliar with weighting and all that but thanks for the update, things happen underwater especially when deep and doing deco dives, failed wings, severe cramping, entanglements, etc, etc the list goes on, SMB's and lift bags have many uses and there is no need to go into them here, I aksed a question and thanks to those who responded.

The requirements for IANTD, NAUI and GUE all state one of two things. They state "An SMB or Lift bag", or simply "an smb". None of them state only lift bag or smb and lift bag.

Ah ha! But a lift bag is an smb! :D

I have an 80# Halcyon lift bag that will fold up nicely and fit in my bp/w storage pak (thanks to folding tips I received here). However I find a Halcyon 3.8 SMB with a 20# lift works nicely for diving with a single steel tank.

I can swim up my single tank rig with a deflated wing. Carrying a lift bag/SMB provides some redundancy in the event of a wing failure and will allow me to float at the surface with my gear

Sean

Also, a lift bag tends to be designed so that you can dump air on ascent. This makes it suitable for use as an alternative bouyancy source in the event that your bladder fails.

A bit off the mark, no? Since if used properly in this instance the lift bag is AT THE SURFACE and you are ascending on the line, making it a bit hard to use the air dump during your ascent.

You can ascend 'with' the lift bag if necessary. Add sufficient air to begin ascent and then dump air as necessary as you rise. Just like a bcd/bladder.

...exactly as you would do if you were raising an item from the bottom...except this item is you.

True, I would always favor shooting the bag on a line, then hauling myself up the line... but that is not truely making yourself neutrally bouyany for the ascent and if anything were to happen to the bag (on the surface) or the line... then you have lost your bouyancy again.

Anyways.... it is fun to practice if you ever get chance.... and not as difficult as it might sound.

Was wondering what pound size lift bag you all carry, not talking about a SMB but a lift bag in case wing failure or strong current and need to use Lift bag to get to surface (climbing not as a shot to the surface), a #50 seems a little small in choppy conditions doesn't it, I also want the boat to be ables to see it as well, does a 150lb store as easy as a 50lb ?
I carry a 50# most often, although I own a 100# as well. With double steel 120s and SS BP, I am diving a 55 lb Halcyon wing (with a drysuit), and that provides plenty of lift. So, in a pinch (wing failure), a 50# bag should do fine. I have not had a wing failure requiring lift bag deployment as alternative buoyancy, therefore cannot say I have tested that theory other than in the pool.
does a 150lb store as easy as a 50lb ?
Can't speak for a 150lb, but a 100# stows as easily as the 50#. Yes, it is a bit larger when rolled up, but the difference, at least to me is negligible. I carry the bag either rolled up and bungeed at the bottom of my backplate, or in a DR sleeve (clipped to the bottom of the plate, or inverted on the left side of the plate). It is my impression that a 6' SMB would be equally effective for alternative buoyancy, and would probably be more visible in open water where there are any swells. I carry a SMB as a secondary back-up / surface marker when ocean diving. As far as 'why' I carry the lift bag as my primary alternative buoyancy - habit, mostly. It is how I was trained (DSAT) and I continue to do it that way.

I actually carry both. If I need to shoot something, the bag is my first choice. Have you ever seen someone shoot an SMB, they spend most there time laying in the water. A bag will be larger to see on the surface. Once you get to the surface the SMB can be better in high seas, but a lift bag that is 2 feet by 3 feet and bright yellow can be seen easier than a 6 foot long pencil. If you really get screwed and they are searching by air I would much rather have a 2x3 foot yellow thing on me than a pencil.

I have a 50 in a dive rite pack on the bottom of my plate for singles and a 100 on the back of the plate for doubles.
I also carry a 6' SMB on ocean/lake dives. (mounted on Butt D-ring with 100' spool)
The lift bag is there if the wing fails.
These items are like insurance, its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Jim Breslin

I only take a lift bag if I know I will need to lift something from the bottom, otherwise I use only an SMB (this I always carry), that as an emergency backup can also be a buoyancy device, although I do not intend to ever use it this way, my buoyancy backup is the dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom