What lasts longer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm completely stupid when it comes to tank stuff. I'm assuming a steel 65 wouldn't last as long as an aluminum 80? Any help is appreciated. I'm showing my brother what it's like in the shallow end of our pool tomorrow and I rented a 65 thinking it would last a few hours. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Cubic feet are Cubic feet. Low pressure steel 80's, AL80's and high pressure 80's all contain the same amount of gas. So just go by the cubic foot rating of the tank and you can tell what is equaivalent in different materials and pressure ratings.

shotthebreeze:
I'm completely stupid ................... I'm showing my brother what it's like in the shallow end of our pool tomorrow.............

I doubt you are stupid, but you are making a grave error if you carry through with this. It could kill your brother. Don't do it.

I agree with Walter. Don't take anyone that isn't certified into a pool to try out SCUBA unless you have the training and experience to do so (i.e. professional levels), which you do not. If you have a friend or family member that wants to try SCUBA then find a Discover SCUBA Diving program in your area and let them try it that way.

The amount of air the tank has is the cubic foot value. So yes 65 is smaller than 80.

Aluminum, Steel, Low Pressure, High Pressure, etc. just describes other characteristics of the tank which make them bigger or smaller in physically size (not air quantity). The cubic foot rating is the amount of air it holds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom