What kind of sharks have you seen?

What kind of sharks have you seen up close!

• NURSE

Votes: 136 74.7%
  • WHITE-TIPPED REEF, SILVERTIP REEF, GREY REEF, BLACK TIPPED REEF

Votes: 129 70.9%
  • SANDBAR SHARK/GREY NURSE/SNAGGLE TOOTH

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • LEMON SHARK

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • BULL SHARK / ZAMBEZI

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • TIGER SHARKS

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • OCEANIC WHITETIP, GREAT WHITE

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • MAKO

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • BLUE SHARKS

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • MEGAMOUTH,GOBLIN,HAMMERHEAD,THRESHER,WHALE,BASKING

Votes: 48 26.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of my shark sightings have been in the Bahamas or in the Florida Keys. I have seen black tips as big as 7' and as close as maybe five feet away. There hand fed at Lucaya, so they come right up to you to see if you have anything to feed them. Took some getting used to.

:sharky:

Shedd Aquarium - Chicago, IL
Sea World - Suburbs of Cleveland
Discovery Channel -- my bedroom
JAWS --Spielberg --numerous times throughout my house

Sightings in Lake Michigan and Haigh Quarry - 0
Sightings in Bonaire - 0

:(

I had an interesting encounter with a whale shark in Bonaire. it was swimming right behind me, a big one, about 30 feet long, and me and my buddy never saw it. When we got back on the boat, everybody was laughing at us... The whole boat saw it, but not us... It was a very weird, and embarrassing experience, but one that i will never forget.

I seem to be the one person on a dive who doesn't see the shark that everyone else sees.

:(

I did catch a nurse shark while beach fishing one time. It was quite tasty.

:thumb:

This has been a very educational thread from the standpoint of annecdotal collection of marine data. I wonder what the margin of error would be.

It's very interesting that not many divers have seen Mako's - they are referenced quite often in caribbean lore - from fisherman's tales to boat names.

Nurse sharks, sand sharks, dogfish, (in NJ), blacktips, and in La Jolla, leopards, horn sharks (cuuute! Eeeeeee!), guitarfish, (well? They're SORT of a shark, anyway), and some I couldn't identify--I am not all that good at it.
While diving in the Blue Hole in Belize, we saw two very large sharks. One was a really large blacktip, and my dive pals swear that the other was a bull shark. It was big as hell and was posturing at us, the whole group, (I think there were 8 of us), it was rather surprising, and a little scary, too! We all stopped and sat still, and he eventually went away.

We have a really cool shark in our shallower waters
The SEVEN GILL COW SHARK
they reach a leanth of 3m/10ft are prety docile if not interfered with and will hang around unlike our other sharks in false bay
who move off as soon as you spot them.

I saw this one two weeks ago in the Bahamas. :wacko:

I think it's a reef shark.

And I still love my $50 cheapie camera

Marc

Great photo FLL diver! That's one big remora. :D
(anyone ever had a remora try to attach to you? I hear it really hurts, but it's funny as hell watching someone try to get away from one).

Can someone ID this shark?

Back
Top Bottom