What kind of mounts are people using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just wondering how people are mounting their GoPros (and knock-offs) for diving.

For my certification dive I sacrificed a head strap and made a hand mount that worked OK, but I wasn't thrilled with it. I expect I will at some point sew some mounts to my hood, including both a camera and light mounts. Another idea would be to mount one on the tank band, tough whether that would show anything but bubbles remains to be seen. I've built cinepoles for surface use, and while I can see the utility underwater, making a neutrally buoyant one seems frustrating.

So what are you using?

DIY tray with two handles for stability, tray glides through the water and you can set it down to leave it and take a video.
Shoe lace used to attach to BCD if required. Just use standard go pro screws and sticky pads. Take tray down to 40m depth any residual bubbles under the sticky pads well be gone.

10100.jpg

9988.jpg

If you want hands free lights and camera a dive helmet might be your best option.

Orka-Torch-Light-Front-View.jpg

Ultralight go pro mount. Purchased but not used $10usd plus shipping

Attachments

• DSCF5679.jpg
    DSCF5679.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 47
I use a two handle tray with ball sockets for lights. Head mount and wrist mount may be convenient for the diver but seldom result in watchable video without extensive editing. You move your hands and head a lot more than you realize. You can get one on Amazon for about $40.

1653144254897.png

DIY tray with two handles for stability, tray glides through the water and you can set it down to leave it and take a video.
Shoe lace used to attach to BCD if required. Just use standard go pro screws and sticky pads. Take tray down to 40m depth any residual bubbles under the sticky pads well be gone.

View attachment 723977

View attachment 723976
Any DIY instructions put there for this set-up? Looks like a very utilitarian set up that I could make!

I use a two handle tray with ball sockets for lights. Head mount and wrist mount may be convenient for the diver but seldom result in watchable video without extensive editing. You move your hands and head a lot more than you realize. You can get one on Amazon for about $40.

View attachment 724007
Thanks for posting. I just bought a hero 10 for diving and can't wait to try it out this weekend in Kona. Has the mount worked out well for you so far on dives, or do you have some reservations/improvements you would make?

Thanks for posting. I just bought a hero 10 for diving and can't wait to try it out this weekend in Kona. Has the mount worked out well for you so far on dives, or do you have some reservations/improvements you would make?

It has worked great. My only improvement would be - given that width = stability - is to extend it wider or make it width-adjustable. The homemade one in post #2 appears to be 6-8 inches wider.

Any DIY instructions put there for this set-up? Looks like a very utilitarian set up that I could make!

Basically it was CNC'd from sheet plastic used for making confectionary containers so has to be toxin free.
The later version I added a slot in the middle so could mount the TG6

10097.jpg

9987.jpg

TG6 MOUNT.jpg

Where does one find those helmets, and are they neutrally buoyant?

Back
Top Bottom