what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was twenty-five in 1989 and learned how to dive as well as do my first incredable forty dives on the great barrier reef in Australia while backpacking. After returning home to Boston I immediately bought gear and a boat to continue diving,
I spent the next five years diving mostly in Boston for lobster and scallops. Since then I've been able to dive in twenty countries doing both warm and cold water dives as well as occasionally doing some cenote diving. I will admit, I now lean towards warm water diving if I can. Cozumel, Belize and Bonaire are frequent stops in between saving for dream live-aboard trips.
I've also been lucky enough to have my wife as my main dive buddy for the last twenty years.

Obsessed weekend (mostly) diver with the very occasional diving holiday.

I literally dive every weekend. I had a run of over 6 years where I dived at least once every weekend. Last year I had some medical issues: missed three weekends, dived the next 4 weekends, had surgery, missed the next 6 weekends, dived 2, missed one, dived 2, missed one, and haven't missed a weekend since 19 October 2019.

Last trip away was September 2017. While I do enjoy diving in exotic locations I hate the travel (packing, luggage, kids kicking the back of your seat, morons at the luggage carousel, etc.)

The diving here in Sydney is so good I love it! Even described a new species of pipefish found right off Sydney!
Andrew, I would agree you are an obsessed diver, possibly even more so than me, and that is saying something.

Hmm
Define Warm and Cold water?:wink:

Constant 24C/75F is absolutely Drysuit temperatures
In the Summer it can reach 36C/96F even at Depth

Or it can be 30C/86F average, with large thermoclines down to 23C/73F - oh and Air temps 45C/113F+ plus (very enjoyable boat rides):rant:

I label (if we must) a frequent diver. 150 Local Dives per year Teaching Dives on top of that. Every vacation is a dive vacation. (although because of Covid, my wife and I haven't dived together for 1 year nor seen each other for 10 months :(

I have way too much gear - my wife and I loaned full sets of gear and tanks to 3 friends who visited us last year and we still had a some spare :facepalm:

I try to do at least two dives every month plus a diving holiday each year. The latter is not restricted to the tropics.

Wide range of conditions:
- Visibility from 1 to 40+ meters (once 100+ meters);
- Temperature from 12C to 32C (once 2C);
- Current or no current.

I classify myself as an average diver.

I wanna be a local diver, but 2-4hr boat rides each direction, donning 7mm wet suits in sweltering heat, for two 30-40 minute dives (unless you want to do deco) in 10-15' vis, lost is allure pretty quick, Combine that with insta buddies cause your better half says f-that, and I tapped out.

Now that my kids are certified if one of them develops interest in going local I would consider going dry and giving it another try.

Till then I'll save up the money I would spend on local diving and spend it on shore diving vacations. The per dive cost is really competitive if you do the math.

Wuss :poke:

18-20C water is nice in a 5 mil one-piece wetsuit and no hood, no gloves. Below 15C water I tend to agree, dry (plus a good hood and gloves) is the only sensible option.

Hmm
Define Warm and Cold water?:wink:

In the Summer it can reach 36C/96F even at Depth

Or it can be 30C/86F average, with large thermoclines down to 23C/73F - oh and Air temps 45C/113F+ plus (very enjoyable boat rides):rant:

I label (if we must) a frequent diver. 150 Local Dives per year Teaching Dives on top of that. Every vacation is a dive vacation. (although because of Covid, my wife and I haven't dived together for 1 year nor seen each other for 10 months :(

I have way too much gear - my wife and I loaned full sets of gear and tanks to 3 friends who visited us last year and we still had a some spare :facepalm:
"Constant 24C/75F is absolutely Drysuit temperatures
In the Summer it can reach 36C/96F even at Depth"
I dive these temps in a shorty, lakes here in the hottest part of the summer are 42 degrees F at 70 fsw. I don't go dry until the water at the surface is below 50F. I wear a 7mm semidry until then, or a shorty when water is above 72 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom