what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to mention I own all my own gear (2 configurations) I dive mainly dry suit, double tank side mount but also have a full single back mount set and wet suits. I recently moved into the realm of solo diving so will possibly dive more in the future.

I’m a year-round rebreather tech diver in the Great Lakes and my wife is warm water, look at the pretty fishes diver. So at least once a year we travel to some warm water destination so she can go diving. I’m into shipwrecks so the Great Lakes is the perfect place to be. Since most of the nicest wrecks are below 150 ft, that led me down the tech path, mixed gases and rebreathers. Been diving since ‘78 but have been limiting myself to ~200 ft depths lately as I’ve gotten older, plus I really don’t like long decos where all there is to do is hang on the line and stare at your buddy....

I dive a lot more - relatively speaking - locally than on vacation. Without looking up the stats, I'd guess that fewer than 10% of my logged dives have been on a vacation abroad. The rest have been local or on day or weekend outings. Or from my own boat, which is located at my vacation cabin.

So, neither a vacation diver nor "in the water more than I'm out". I guess I'm "just an average diver". For local values of "average".

Own all the gear I use, unless I go on a vacation with diving. Then I only bring my mask, computer, reg set and BP/W (plus my photo gear) and rent the rest.

Salty, very salty.

Somewhere between old sea going Captain salty and beach bum salty ......

When I was young and foolish I was the hardest of hard-core cave diver. Dive to the ragged edge, then minimum surface interval and do it again and again. Daylight and dark did not define our sleep/wake times - dives and surface intervals did.

Now I'm a lot older and (maybe) a little wiser. Now I dive in the warm clear water to see the pretty fishes and coral - with my family.

It's still good.

I'm absolutely NOT a vacation diver. I'm primarily a local diver who happens to occasionally dive on vacation as well. I love to dive too much to only do it on vacation. When I lived in Indiana I regularly dived the lakes and quarries of the Midwest year-round. I now live in Florida and I regularly dive all over South Florida year-round. I'm fascinated by the underwater world regardless of where. When I see a body of water be it in Indiana, Montana, Michigan, Maine, California or Florida my first thought is, "I wonder what it's like under the surface?"

Bonaire is my favorite vacation dive spot, roughly 25% of my dives have been logged there. The odd trip to the Keys, 2 dives in Santorini, but the vast majority have been in the quarries around here...I just love it, even below the bottom thermocline in the upper 40s. My grandson just got certified, day before his 12th birthday, and I took him to the quarry last Saturday. 58 degree water didn't phase him. I'm planning on spending the vast majority of next summer diving with him.

Mostly new england year arounf. Some lakes and quarries but mostly Atlantic Ocean. Did one trip in 2010 to see how the spoiled warm clear people do it. One day I'll go back down there.

Local 50-degree kelp forest diver with all my gear, tanks and weights for tiny sidemount and AL40 doubles. Lately, it has only been once every few weekends. Mostly solo though also with friends. Also a wing and a few plates and harnesses for single tank but no tanks for that. I dragged my full backmount rig to Belize when I went. I do think being in a more southern realm where you only need a 7mm full suit or less would be nice, or maybe just getting a dry suit. A desire for lighter luggage for warm vacation diving partially motivated the move to sidemount.

I cover a bit of ground underwater but often hover level over or next to some spot just looking at invertebrates or watching fish. I had fun assisting with several scientific dive classes and briefly being a scientific diver, but I'm unlikely to work as a dive pro so didn't finish my DM training. Post-covid, I'll go down to Florida or Mexico for cavern training and the Cenotes. Diving at the raged edge of DCS is not an appeal, but a rebreather and drysuit are appealing as ways to look at the pretty fish longer. Warm clear tropical diving, a good meal and a stroll or chair in the sun or shade after is nice as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom