What item of equipment was a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc once bubbled...
Being newly certified I bought one from the local LDS... only to have them make fun of me on the next dive. But, I pointed out, that they had sold it to me in the first place. Last time I ever darkened their door!!!

OK. I give up!

What's a "suicide clip"?

A suicide clip is something that can become clipped (attached to) something else without some form of action on the part of its owner.

I hate to give a link to Leisure Pro, but I found one real quick there - -

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...s/prodimg.d2w/report?img=div1001.jpg&title=#1 Swivel Boat Snap *1001

If you have a bunch of these restraining gear, and were in an environment prone to entanglement, you could become trapped and not know what was clipped to what.

Using these outside of a pool environment is generally considered Suicide.

Dry Snorkel - -
Having a snorkel as something other than a digging tool or for class is a little crazy. Having a dry snorkel is only adding insult to injury. You can't free dive with them, and the added bulk of the airtight cap makes them real mask-leakers.

Air2 - -
I like LOVE Scubapro, don't misread this. My two regs are from them (Mk2+/R190 & Mk25/G500). Using an Air2 for something other than a classroom aid, or practicing in the pool is lunacy. Has anyone had an OOA and used one of these for real? Everytime I see it on my wife's BC I want to go the the LSD shop that sold it to us and heave it through the plate glass window. I was young, innocent, and did not know better about these. If you want to trim a hose off you regulator that bad maybe you should look at Air Integrated computers.

Big Dive Knife - -
If you dive in regularly fished waters or kelp fields, more power to you. Bringing one of these bad boys in tropical waters is nonsense. Selling one of these bad boys to Blue Water students is even worse. I came across 200' of steel leader line on a Jupiter, FLA Reef. Out of three of us, no dive knife would touch it. Shears finally did the trick. Can we come up with some sort of moratorium on steel leader line? That was some scary stuff.

kevink once bubbled...
A suicide clip is something that can become clipped (attached to) something else without some form of action on the part of its owner.

Using these outside of a pool environment is generally considered Suicide.

Thanks!

I never thought about that.

Terry

One of the first things I bought was a slate, it can with a few clicps and black curlly rubber between them... at first I thought it was so cool... but now I realise it was a gizzmo product, not a functionally based one .

I now dive witha wrist slate, with 5 surfaces, works great.

madmole once bubbled...
, a 4" knife mounted SEAL style on my harness

What is SEAL style? Can you post a picture.

I think the tank bangers I bought are useless, the tubing type with plastic ball.

Now use a carabiner

jonnythan once bubbled...
Oh yes! I remember that.

I ended up using the tubing to make the bungee loop to attach my backup light to my BC strap. At least something good came of it :)

Hey, thanks for the great idea, I am sitting on two tang bangers right now.

My one of my favorite columns in a trade magazine I read is called "Ideas That Work", submitted by readers.

kevink once bubbled...

Thanks for the info, this is good to know.

Does a carabiner fit in this catagory? Looks like it does!

Back
Top Bottom