What is your preferred strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DS125, 160 or 161 are all great choices. I have had one head die but that's very good considering how I have used and abused them.

The battery packs are well made and do seem to pretty much last forever, but after a decade I am seeing a decline in their power, and the price of new ones is not cheap. And they are big, but if you can find used ones for cheap, it's hard to go wrong. I have 5 and I love them.

They do have a fiber optic adaptor, and it works well for fiber optics, but still doesn't work as well as a Triggerfish or their old EV Manual Adaptor, for remote slave strobe options at a distance of a few feet away.

The DS125, 160 or 161 are all great choices. I have had one head die but that's very good considering how I have used and abused them.

The battery packs are well made and do seem to pretty much last forever, but after a decade I am seeing a decline in their power, and the price of new ones is not cheap. And they are big, but if you can find used ones for cheap, it's hard to go wrong. I have 5 and I love them.

They do have a fiber optic adaptor, and it works well for fiber optics, but still doesn't work as well as a Triggerfish or their old EV Manual Adaptor, for remote slave strobe options at a distance of a few feet away.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do have one quick question. Do you know if these can be set up to use an optical trigger (Fiber Optic)? Thanks.

Yes, but you need an add on adapter. Ikelite lists these on their website. They work just fine.

Why is is no one suggesting the new Sea&sea d3? Buy two. Buy once and never look back!!

It's a brand new strobe. Many people have reported significant reliability problems with the YS-D2's. If you have experience with the D3 you should share your impressions. It might help to rebuild confidence in S&S.

Yes, but you need an add on adapter. Ikelite lists these on their website. They work just fine.
Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I will take a look at them. Has anyone had any experiences with the new sea and sea d3?

The S&S strobes seem to be problematic with LED triggers there's a thread - 2 brand new S&S YS-D3 won't fire off a UWT LED trigger, but work just fine using a camera with onboard flash.
Sea&Sea YS-D3 doesn't work with UWT TTL trigger?
There's also a history of less than perfect reliability, may have improved recently, we'll have to wait and see.

UWT has not updated their firmware for the D3 yet.

TRT Electronics has updated for the D3 and is working with their trigger.

Just bought an Inon D-200, seems nice but won't be getting it wet until July.

New tray and arm arriving today, may have to put on mask and snorkel and stalk the dog around the house for practice.

Would that be a cry for help?

Back
Top Bottom