What is your pre-dive accident-prevention check-list when diving with a new buddy ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple. Tell them to dive with someone else. I’ll dive solo. All the dive operators I use know my history and skills and allow me to dive same ocean, same day buddy.

Hmmm, tough crowd....

I don't think we can "make sure that all the efficient reactions to potential hazards and emergencies are anticipated", that would take all day and we'd still leave something out. You just try to cover the basic issues, and get to know each other a little:

How much have you dived? How recently? What's your gear setup? How do you signal air remaining, and at what PSI?

Anything special you want to see or do on this dive? Show me the signal for "low on air" (much better than getting the "out of air" signal). What's in your pockets? Got a slate? What's your computer look like? Compass? What are your other hobbies? What do you do for work or volunteering? (don't laugh, you can learn a lot about reaction time, risk-averseness, empathy, and temperament from what other things they are involved in and enjoy).

What psi do we want at the ascent line? When to turn the dive? Agree on what the procedure is if you get separated. Then do the final BWRAF checks (buoyancy, weights, air-on all the way-- while we make note of each others' starting PSI), and Final look-see.

. I’ll dive solo. All the dive operators I use know my history and skills and allow me to dive same ocean, same day buddy.

The phrase "same ocean same buddy" refers to a diver with poor buddy skills- not a solo diver.

I prefer to dive solo or with one of my regular buddys, but on a number of occasions a diver, or the boat DM, ask me to buddy up. I've been diving for quite a while and feel an obligation to buddy with newer divers to pay back the ones that took the time with me in the past.

In general duscussion I like to find out about their dive history and any emergencies they might have had and how they reacted. It's good to gauge how experienced they feel they are.

Then going over gear and emergency procedures. Most newer divers I have had as buddy's with have never seen a BP/W so I go over that and how it affects emergency procedures they have learned. See if they know their air consumption.

Finally make a dive plan. Objective if there is one, turn pressure, rock bottom or minimum gas to surface. It's pointed out that I get picky about wanting my buddy beside me where I can see them, and changes in relative position don't bother me if I can see them happen, and the buddy can keep track of me.

I've had a lot of fun this way, and I believe a long talk with the other diver has been the process that has kept me from the dreaded instabuddy. Somewhere during the talk either party can see it's not a match and look elsewhere for another buddy or other arrangements.

The phrase "same ocean same buddy" refers to a diver with poor buddy skills- not a solo diver.

It's a euphemism.

Bob

It's a euphemism. Bob

That's true Bob and thanks for taking the time to read my post and elaborate on it. My point however is that in the post I quoted, the context in which the euphemism was used, was incorrect. Or rather, the euphemism was used in the wrong context.

Meh...OP you can come dive with me...:)

Nice conversation; get a feel for experience; find out your expectations for the specific dive (not necessarily your life story, save that for the after-dive beverage, if applicable :cheers:); go over basic stuff (where's octo, who leads, etc.). All of that is nice, friendly, and expected IMHO. My main safety precaution when diving with insta-buddies is uncomplicated diving. Nothing too deep, minimal current, no wrecks, nothing even near my no-go meter. Just nice basic reef bimbles (or something applicable depending on your location). If you want to do more than that with me, we'll have to dive together a few times. Otherwise, we'll have a nice day on the water; enjoy some nice diving; say our goodbyes; and go home feeling good about our adventure. All IMHO, YMMV from the perspective of a "tidy bowl" (warm and blue) diver. Might not be applicable in Montreal unless you get on the big jet. :)

IMHO, communication is critical.

I was on a LOB last fall, and although I was traveling with a group, there was an odd number of us. I got paired up with an "insta-buddy". Before we ever got in the water, we talked about what we were hoping to get out of the dive and out of the week. We discussed where our "octo" was and where it was attached. We discussed air consumption. (I am horrible for the first few dives but soon improve dramatically after I once again get comfortable underwater.)

After each of the first couple dives, we debriefed honestly & discussed things such as "what did I do that you liked and what did I do that was not what you wanted or expected"?

We had the luxury of being a buddy pair all week, and by the end of the first day, it was as if we had been buddies for years.

Talk, and more importantly, listen. Somehow, you will probably find middle ground that will meet both of your needs.

I got to dive with a new buddy a couple of weeks ago. We carpooled together so we had the benefit of a nice long conversation. During that we discussed our air consumption, tank size (I have a smaller tank), air share technique (she gives me her octo/yellow, I give her my primary as I have an air 2) We also discussed diving style--relaxed vs see the whole ocean and our dislikes/problems we have had with other buddies. Communication methods--shaker, air remaining. On the boat we reviewed wts and releases and who is leading and what is the plan. If I just met her at the boat we probably would have missed the shaker (till she shook it) and the diving style, but we were both pretty committed to ensuring we had a safe and fun dive. So we did!!!

My predive accident prevention strategy is to present my solo dive certification card to the dive operator and say "No thanks" when asked to team up with someone I don't know.

Your answer implies that you must "know somebody" therefore you must have, at least once in your life, had to dive with somebody you didn't know before -- which is what the OP's question was about.

1) I kind of like diving with insta-buddies who are relatively new. As long as they don't have an attitude and are willing to learn, I find mentoring fun. Yeah, it might cut my dive short a bit, and I might have to pay more attention to them than to another more experienced buddy. But people did that for me, so it's nice to pay it forward.

2) In an OOG situation, the victim gets my primary reg. Nothing will reliably get them plugged into gas and defuse the situation faster than that. I don't think that it's a good idea to initially deploy a pony bottle. It's fine to do that after they have a breath or too, but those few seconds can make the difference between a successful recovery and a disaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom