What is your motivation to solo dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm currently not really solo diving after an IPE incident four years ago this month. (I'm a north FL cave diver.)
But, I have done many solo dives in our area caves through the years, and I enjoyed just being by myself swimming wherever I wanted to, and doing whatever. To me, it was extremely calming and relaxing and I'd call or text family as soon as I could once out of the water.
I remember doing solo dives two to three thousand feet (not depth) back into a cave like Little River and seeing no one the whole time. I felt like an astro-aquanaut being what seemed like far away from the exit and safety. (Somewhat like I do sometimes when off-roading, but of course there's no air issues then.) I was allowed sometimes to solo dive at 40 Fathom Grotto down to 240 ffw, using mix, and that also felt like being alone in a deep spot, and kind of eerie sometimes swimming up on old vehicles at various depths.

I'm currently not really solo diving after an IPE incident four years ago this month. (I'm a north FL cave diver.)
But, I have done many solo dives in our area caves through the years, and I enjoyed just being by myself swimming wherever I wanted to, and doing whatever....
Yeah, but the Creature....you're just swimming into his clutches. You should know that.

I’m new,
All of us Solo Divers in the beginning were also new and diving with buddy's
After many many dives.......You'll know if you want to buy more gear and go solo.
Keep diving !!

I actually feel that diving "solo" doesn't always necessarily mean the same as diving "alone"... Here are my main reasons for being equipped, configured and prepared for "solo" diving:
  • I'm a videographer and a hunter and so many times I'll find myself either totally separated or out of position to be considered an effective and reliable dive buddy. Making that crystal clear pre-dive lets me relax and not feel that there is an expectation for me to be attentive to others. (Wife excluded!)
  • I'm leary of an insta-buddy's abilities to assist me.
  • I'm leary of an insta-buddy's placing me in a high risk position of needing to assist them.
  • I don't like the idea of placing someone else in a position of having any responsibility or liability for me.
  • I can adjust my dive plan on the fly if I feel the need...including any need to thumb the dive and not wreck someone else's dive..... Oh wait. No need for a thumb!
  • I feel safer overall knowing exactly where my buddy is, exactly what he is thinking and exactly how he is equipped..... because that buddy is me.
  • Love to shore dive Bonaire and wife typically wants 2 dive days and I like 3-4.
  • I believe that being equipped, configured and prepared for "solo" diving actually makes me a better buddy in situations where I am not solo diving.
PS.... I am not certified as a Solo diver.......but I am "certifiable"!! After many years of diving solo and also seeing it in the cards that my best buddy (wife) will probably want to dive less as we hit 70...... I decided that I need the card.....and who knows, might even learn a thing or two. Anyway, I just recently finished all the E-Learning portion of the SDI course and will be doing the OW work with a TDI instructor in a few weeks when we're on Bonaire for 10 days...

I have no desire to solo now or in the future, but I can sure appreciate your motivations. Makes a lot of sense to me. But I can see myself adding a pony bottle into my kit at some point...just because.
Edit: Maybe equipped to go solo, but never dive truly solo.

My motivation for solo diving is purely binary.

1. Goal: I want to go diving and am ready to go diving.

2. Binary decision parameter: At that moment in time, (1) I have a buddy, or (2) I don't have a buddy.

Ergo: The motivation is to go diving. The solo part is the ancillary result if no buddy is available. :)

I have no desire to solo now or in the future, but I can sure appreciate your motivations. Makes a lot of sense to me. But I can see myself adding a pony bottle into my kit at some point...just because.
Edit: Maybe equipped to go solo, but never dive truly solo.
You say that now... once you get the redundancy and confidence in using it you'll start to relax more. Then one day you're on a dive and realize your equally experienced buddy has stopped or swam off when you stopped. You're now alone and take a moment to appreciate the peacefulness this affords. You search for your buddy after enjoying your moment and surface looking for them. This may happen a few times before you realize it's best to dive together but solo and continue the dive until your air or drift dictate you're done. 10-15 dives like this and you want to go diving when your normal buddy isn't available so you go anyways. You're now hooked on solo-phonics.

You're welcome. Let me know how close to reality this is in the next 18 months.

You say that now... once you get the redundancy and confidence in using it you'll start to relax more. Then one day you're on a dive and realize your equally experienced buddy has stopped or swam off when you stopped. You're now alone and take a moment to appreciate the peacefulness this affords. You search for your buddy after enjoying your moment and surface looking for them. This may happen a few times before you realize it's best to dive together but solo and continue the dive until your air or drift dictate you're done. 10-15 dives like this and you want to go diving when your normal buddy isn't available so you go anyways. You're now hooked on solo-phonics.

You're welcome. Let me know how close to reality this is in the next 18 months.
I actually hope you're right. That would at least mean I'm much more comfortable and confident in the water than I am now.

Back
Top Bottom