What is your motivation to solo dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually hope you're right. That would at least mean I'm much more comfortable and confident in the water than I am now.
Don't over think diving. Bad **** can happen but it doesn't happen fast. Pay attention and you'll notice things that are not right and correct then before they lead to an incident. An incident is not an emergency until you've lost control of the situation. If you can still breathe then you're still doing good lol. Diving is about relaxing and enjoying the sights. Slow down and do just that and you'll be comfortable with more and more tasks or "problems" pretty quick.

Diving as with my mobile phone are there so I can make the call not for people to call me

Is hate more than disdain or less than disdain

Why solo? It's a different diving experience...different from diving with my wife, long time buddies, or insta-buddies...all are enjoyable, but different. I have a card because it makes dealing with certain shops easier and it was a good class. Experience is your friend. :clearmask:

Not solo yet, but soon, photography.

Initially, the flakiness of my potential buddies. I wanted to dive and planned dives with people from my LDS’ “dive society” and their Facebook group. Sometimes it went well. Sometimes they didn’t show up, leaving me waiting at the beach with all my dive gear. Sometimes they showed up but forgot to fill their tank / bring their fins / how a regulator works, etc. Sometimes they seemed like squared away divers but then immediately swam off at five knots into the murk then berated me for being a bad buddy when we reconvened at the surface. At some point I felt that this wasn’t adding to my enjoyment or to my safety. Now I have a few very good buddy friends who I enjoy diving with enormously, but their presence isn’t required for me to get my periodic “fix” at the local dive site. This flexibility, and not having to hunt for random instabuddies, makes me a lot calmer and happier.

For me the solo cert gave me options. If I can't find a buddy I can still go diving. Solo is more relaxing in that I don't have to constantly look after a buddy. It gives me freedom in that I can do and go where I want when I want.

I learned to dive solo, there was one set of gear so the only time my "instructor" was in the water was to practice buddy breathing on a double hose. All of my dives were solo until I met someone in high school that dove, even then I perfered solo. I dove for 17 years before I finally got a c-card, because they were required by shops unless the knew me or I could talk them into a fill. No way to start a traveling dive vacation, so I took a NAUI/PADI OW class, which was an interesting story.

@Scuba Lawyer, an interesting side note, I once referred to my initial SCUBA training as "Dad's School of SCUBA Instruction and Auto Repair" in a post. I get a PM from Sam wanting to know what agency that was, and how it developed. I think he was a bit disappointed it was my sense of humor, and not another piece of SCUBA history he had found. We had a number of other conversations about my experiences with SCUBA on the east coast of my youth, with my humor somewhat in check.

@Bob DBF Your start in diving and mine sound very similar. My dad taught me and we only had one set of gear. That included one DH reg. I dove 9 years, usually solo, before I got certified. And yes, Sam was always on the lookout for that one esoteric bit of scuba history he could add to his archives. I miss him. My wife and I visit Betty and Sam IV every time we pass through Pismo Beach. M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom