What is your motivation to solo dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The majority of my SOLO diving has either been shore diving on Bonaire or off of my personal boat so issues of being turned down..... On my most recent 10 day trip to Bora Bora with Top Dive, I used my instructor card and after the first "check-out" dive they left me alone....

For the purpose of the this discussion, can we please agree that "solo" can be interchanged with "self reliant"?
No, it can't be interchanged. Those words mean different things. The issue here is that you and some other people are trying to play a (stupid) game of semantics.

No, it can't be interchanged. Those words mean different things. The issue here is that you and some other people are trying to play a (stupid) game of semantics.
And your definition of the two are...?

There is a huge overlap of the almost concentric Venn Diagram rings. The main difference is Solo is planned.

I’m new, so I have all kinds of questions. So why solo diving? Don’t have to find a buddy? You like to explore alone without constantly looking over your shoulder for your buddy? You dive with other people, but like having a two independent air sources when things go haywire? Do most of you who are solo certified go truly solo?
I can meditate. It's quiet time for me which I enjoy tremendously.

And your definition of the two are...?
Solo means to be in the water without a buddy. Self-reliant is being self-reliant, allegedly. One is an activity the other one is a level of skill.

Solo means to be in the water without a buddy. Self-reliant is being self-reliant, allegedly. One is an activity the other one is a level of skill.
Or one is planning to dive alone whereas the other is ending up alone and being able to cope.

Pretty much why the diving lake near London will only accept the Solo Diver qualification to dive solo; they will not accept the Self Reliant diver.

The diving skills will be the same. More planning for solo.

I see “solo” and “self reliant” as related but not necessarily the same thing. Let me explain.

Self reliant means a diver takes care of themselves in all aspects of diving including making sure their gear is all set and not in need of any outside assistance, broken parts, missing components, etc. This includes all gear from head to toe, they are self reliant and don’t forget stuff etc.
But self reliant divers can still believe in the buddy system and team diving, however they are skilled enough to be completely self reliant outside of a buddy team if the occasion arises.

A solo diver dives alone and has to be automatically self reliant in every aspect of diving. There is no one else there to bail them out of any situation including a broken fin strap or a forgotten compass, or an entanglement, panic control, OOG, etc. They are 100% on their own.

So the pecking order in my mind would be:

0. A solo diver that is a complete idiot, not self reliant in any aspect of the term, and is an accident waiting to happen. Notice I labelled them a “0”.
1. Complete amateur diver in need of everything (gear set up to DM holding their hand).
2. Needy diver that needs to be looked after and forgets stuff, might run out of air, but is making an effort to correct the error of their ways.
3. Self reliant diver that has their act together 100% but still prefers to buddy/team dive. (Still the safest option).
4. Solo diver that is 100% self reliant (gear, skills, self bailout, etc.)

I see “solo” and “self reliant” as related but not necessarily the same thing. Let me explain.

Self reliant means a diver takes care of themselves in all aspects of diving including making sure their gear is all set and not in need of any outside assistance, broken parts, missing components, etc. This includes all gear from head to toe, they are self reliant and don’t forget stuff etc.
But self reliant divers can still believe in the buddy system and team diving, however they are skilled enough to be completely self reliant outside of a buddy team if the occasion arises.

A solo diver dives alone and has to be automatically self reliant in every aspect of diving. There is no one else there to bail them out of any situation including a broken fin strap or a forgotten compass, or an entanglement, panic control, OOG, etc. They are 100% on their own.

So the pecking order in my mind would be:

0. A solo diver that is a complete idiot, not self reliant in any aspect of the term, and is an accident waiting to happen. Notice I labelled them a “0”.
1. Complete amateur diver in need of everything (gear set up to DM holding their hand).
2. Needy diver that needs to be looked after and forgets stuff, might run out of air, but is making an effort to correct the error of their ways.
3. Self reliant diver that has their act together 100% but still prefers to buddy/team dive. (Still the safest option).
4. Solo diver that is 100% self reliant (gear, skills, self bailout, etc.)
I would add to that:
5. Team diver

The nomenclature and semantics game can get confusing......but mostly just annoying...

Rather than listening to any of us internet keyboard commandos, If you just go directly to the SDI / TDI site, they clearly state that the SDI Solo Diver cert is equivalent to the PADI Self Reliant Diver cert and the SSI Independant Diver cert. "Equivalent" means.... equal in value, amount, function, meaning.

Here's the link to the SDI site..

Recreational Sport Diver Equivalences - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

But then........ there are going to be operators, LOB's, etc..... that either can't read or don't understand.... so if you have a choice, it's probably best to just take the SDI course since the "card" you get has that warm and fuzzy "SOLO" word on it.

For those with the PADI or SSI cert, you might want to just print out or save a link to the equivalency data...

There is even an instructor here on SB...... (Maybe Kosta or Tursiops ?) who taught for both SDI and PADI simultaneously so would just issue both cards to students once they passed the course.

I personally really don't really care much about the card or what it says on it......but I chose the SDI route since there are others who apparently do care..... and those "others" might be in a position to restrict my diving if they don't see the magic "SOLO" word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom