What is your favorite DUI drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried on a DUI 450 at my LDS over the weekend and I'll be getting my DS C-card after the holidays. Since this was my first time with a DS on and I didn't dive the suit, I was wanting the opinions of DUI owners that own a 450 or 350 or other models. I'm looking for candid likes and dislikes of how each model that you may dive and how it is in the area of comfort, mobility and overall satisfaction.

THANKS!

I have a TLS350 and flat out love it. I don't have a ton of dives on it, but so far I'm very happy with it. I would suggest getting a custom fit. Most guys I know who don't like their drysuits complain about the fit. If you get the Signature Series you'll also get a good price on the accessory package included.

If you can, take resnick's advice and hit one of the DUI Rallies.

Random thoughts ...

I have both a TLS350 Signature Series and a CLX450 Signature Series. I use the former for fun and tech diving, and the latter primarily for teaching.

The TLS is a lot lighter and more flexible. It's the most comfortable suit I've ever worn. Down side is that it's not real rugged and after only maybe 350 dives or so is starting to show its age.

The CLX has a few more dives on it (it's a year older). Although it's heavier and stiffer, it's very rugged, and still looks like a relatively new suit.

I got Zip seals on the CLX, and after about two years had them replaced with standard seals. I'd recommend you try the Zip seals before buying ... especially the neck seal. Unless you have a specific reason for buying (like being an instructor and needing the ability for a quick seal replacement), I'd not recommend them. Down sides are that the seals themselves are expensive, the latex isn't as durable as some OEM seals, and on the neck seal the ring makes it difficult for some folks to get the seal over their head. In my case, I went through four neck seals prior to the retrofit ... never got more than 75 dives on any of them, and had one split on me with less than 30 dives. At $135 for a neck seal, that's a very expensive way to go.

Other observations about the DUI suits ... I don't know if it's due to leaks, condensation or what, but the insides of the neoprene socks tend to get wet. For cold water diving (which is what most drysuit owners do), that means cold feet on days when you're doing multiple dives. I've had the socks replaced on both of my suits (warranty item ... DUI did this without my even asking them to). Which brings up a balance point ... I've found DUI's customer service to be outstanding. Their replacement prices aren't cheap, but they do a great (and timely) job.

If you get rock boots, look at some other options besides the ones you'll get from DUI. I settled on Bare rock boots because they're sturdier, warmer, and cost less.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom