What is wrong with this requalification (aka hydro)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there somewhere a layman can get a copy of the rules and regs for tank testing? Perhaps the training guide too? I'm not planning on doing tank inspections but it would be great to know what to look for when I pick up a rented or borrowed tank. To this point, I've been trusting the shops I use. Now j have my own set and want to make sure I know more.

The rules and regs come from 49 Code of Federal Regulations. You can buy it for approximately $50 from sources such as the federal register or you can google it, and read the digital version for free. 49 CFR refers to the appropriate Compressed Gas Association (CGA) pamphlets, and cylinder manufacture specifications when determining damage limits for visual inspection. CGA pamphlets can be purchased from their website (www.cganet.com) for an exorbitant amount. Manufacture limits can be found on their websites (Luxfer has a great PDF for visually inspecting cylinders) and in the case of E/SP Cylinders, off of the published exemption from the PHMSA website. PSI-PCI (www.psicylinders.com) also sells the book Inspecting Cylinders by Bill High.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2015 at 10:07 AM ----------

This set has the 1 for the month being a different font from the 1 from the year. Is this normal or a little odd?

It is not odd. Some hydrotesters buy a 2 digit year stamp to speed up the stamping process. The "font" on the individual digit stamp may be different from the 2 digit year stamp depending on the manufacturer that they bought it from.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2015 at 10:13 AM ----------

That said what no one noticed is that visual inspection sticker indicates that the cylinders were "eddy tested". The scuba visual inspection often includes an eddy current test for AL6351 cylinders and are so noted. This annual testing is a scuba industry standard.

Though the visual eddy was done there is still a lack of a VE stamp. If one looks at the RIN one would learn that the dive shop was a hydro tester. So it would appear the full testing was done but quite the fubar.

Quite honestly, I did not even pay attention to the sticker because without the actual stamp on the cylinder, it does not matter. Stickers don't matter when it comes to the DOT because they are considered a permanent marking.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2015 at 10:24 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure my hydro shop does the eddy test BEFORE the hydro test. It made sense to me to identify a thread problem before pumping up the cylinder to test pressure.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

The order of eddy current testing is not mandated by the DOT on when it will occur in the testing process, just that it has to occur when hydrotesting 6351-T6 Alloy cylinders. And yes, some shops do it before and some after. I fall back on the recommendations from the LUXFER reps that I talked to/worked with. They recommended a preliminary visual inspection prior to hydro, hydrotest, and then a formal visual inspection along with Eddy Current test. They recomended the preliminary visual inspection because sustained load cracking is only one thing that will condemn a cylinder, and the eddy current will not detect things such as corrosion, pitting, fire damage, etc. Since they were the ones that manufactured millions of these cylinders and are the ones that have an interest in the inspections due to the liability on their end, I default to these experts. But like I said, each shop has different procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom