What is wrong with Non-SCUBA discussions anyway? Specifically MOF Thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I post on a lot of different threads here, I do post in MOF a lot and it does get a bit silly at times but it's a good way to "de-compress" from the daily rigors of life. I can't understand why people would be upset. We welcome everyone.

I think ONLY DIVING should be discussed on scubaboard. I also think maybe people should use scubaboard only while underwater!

howarde:
... it's fun... the people in there are great, and actually we have all discussed MANY SCUBA related topics.

We frequently discuss u/w photography, we have recently discussed Rescue Diver, and DM certs, and a whole gambit of things, in a friendly way. Of coruse, there is an occasional troll, but really, the people there have self moderated (with 1 exception).

It would have been NICE to have read some of those topics without having to wade through the chaff, er, comments that resemble the "chat rooms" of the mid-90's internet environment.

I've posted 17 times there and it WAS fun but it certainly has gone beyond any useful forum for someone that might be trying to learn something.

Just my opinion. Sea ya!eyebrow

MOF = No Panic Zone

Sasquatch:
It would have been NICE to have read some of those topics without having to wade through the chaff, er, comments that resemble the "chat rooms" of the mid-90's internet environment.

I've posted 17 times there and it WAS fun but it certainly has gone beyond any useful forum for someone that might be trying to learn something.

Just my opinion. Sea ya!eyebrow

MOF = No Panic Zone

There is a "search thread" feature...

It's not what it's about though... It's basically about divers talking. Weren't you involved in the "conversation thread" well... that's what MOF is... I don't back read... but there are those who do... I am pretty sure there are some people who have read the whole thing.

howarde:
I've been reading a lot of people's whines about "there's already too much non-scuba discussion anyway on this board"

My questions to those who feel this way,

1) Is ScubaBoard a forum for SCUBA divers?
2) Do SCUBA divers ONLY talk about SCUBA?

My understanding of SB is that it's a place for divers, snorkelers, freedivers, etc. Does every thread need to be only about diving? In my experiences with meeting other divers, I can honestly say that I have never known of another activity in which people can become friends so quickly, as SCUBA divers do. Most divers are fun loving good time people. So then, why wouldn't divers just enjoy shooting the you know what with each other, like (shall I say it?) the MOF thread. People all over the boards are poo pooing the MOF thread, but really... it's fun... the people in there are great, and actually we have all discussed MANY SCUBA related topics.

We frequently discuss u/w photography, we have recently discussed Rescue Diver, and DM certs, and a whole gambit of things, in a friendly way. Of coruse, there is an occasional troll, but really, the people there have self moderated (with 1 exception).

So anyway... I would like to know if SB should be restricted to ONLY SCUBA related discussion, because I think that would certainly make SB very BORING. Comments?

(if this should be a whine & cheese, i have no problem with a MOD moving it there)

Take away the topics and loose the people. You can't just talk about Scuba all the time. Have some fun and most importantly avoid the discussions you are not interested in. Its not hard.

One of the things that I like about this board is that I can get to know other divers and learn from more experienced people on here as well as try to help less experienced divers than me when I can. Isn't that what this community is all about?

Bringing in different people means bringing in different personalities and different thoughts. Some are stupid, some are funny and some are very informative. If you take away part of it you will loose the whole of it.

That's just my opinion....I could be wrong.....dm

howarde said: "There is a "search thread" feature..."

Well, ya there is but I wouldn't go to MOF NMOF and search for "rescue diver cert"!

Well, maybe I would if I thought they were going to certify me to know whether a MOF meant I had to go into rescue mode. I'll have to think about that.

And, yes, I did the chat thing a little and it was fun but challenging to think in such a linear manner.

Good diving to you!

tjmills:
Take away the topics and loose the people. You can't just talk about Scuba all the time. Have some fun and most importantly avoid the discussions you are not interested in. Its not hard.

One of the things that I like about this board is that I can get to know other divers and learn from more experienced people on here as well as try to help less experienced divers than me when I can. Isn't that what this community is all about?

Bringing in different people means bringing in different personalities and different thoughts. Some are stupid, some are funny and some are very informative. If you take away part of it you will loose the whole of it.

That's just my opinion....I could be wrong.....dm

Well said.

Sasquatch:
And, yes, I did the chat thing a little and it was fun but challenging to think in such a linear manner.

Don't think... It makes it much easier.

Back
Top Bottom