What is wrong with Non-SCUBA discussions anyway? Specifically MOF Thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been reading a lot of people's whines about "there's already too much non-scuba discussion anyway on this board"

My questions to those who feel this way,

1) Is ScubaBoard a forum for SCUBA divers?
2) Do SCUBA divers ONLY talk about SCUBA?

My understanding of SB is that it's a place for divers, snorkelers, freedivers, etc. Does every thread need to be only about diving? In my experiences with meeting other divers, I can honestly say that I have never known of another activity in which people can become friends so quickly, as SCUBA divers do. Most divers are fun loving good time people. So then, why wouldn't divers just enjoy shooting the you know what with each other, like (shall I say it?) the MOF thread. People all over the boards are poo pooing the MOF thread, but really... it's fun... the people in there are great, and actually we have all discussed MANY SCUBA related topics.

We frequently discuss u/w photography, we have recently discussed Rescue Diver, and DM certs, and a whole gambit of things, in a friendly way. Of coruse, there is an occasional troll, but really, the people there have self moderated (with 1 exception).

So anyway... I would like to know if SB should be restricted to ONLY SCUBA related discussion, because I think that would certainly make SB very BORING. Comments?

(if this should be a whine & cheese, i have no problem with a MOD moving it there)

Have you thought about a BP/W? :D
But really, you can't spend 24/7 underwater, so discussing about diving doesn't have to either. As long as people are having fun, getting along, following the TOS, all discussions should be allowed, in my opinion.

dlndavid:
Have you thought about a BP/W? :D

Actually I have. :wink:

No, there should not be too many restrictions. We are normal people after all. I think.

However, it would be great to have a chat feature that did not require a thread. The MOFNMOF thread is a case in point. When you click "New Posts" MOFNMOF is (almost) always there. It would be useful to have it not appearing as a new post thread, and just have a chat area where we can get together and babble. Also, do you really want your posts to the conversation to be available forever?

I also find the posting (in the MOFNMOF thread) for specific post counts or post numbers (or first post on the page, or last post on the page, or longest post run (talking to yourself online!!!!)) a bit silly. But then again, I do post a lot to the Word Association Game.

So whatever blows your hair back!!...

Cheers,

Andrew

howarde:
We frequently discuss u/w photography, we have recently discussed Rescue Diver, and DM certs, and a whole gambit of things, in a friendly way.
However, you'd only know that by participating quite frequently. It's not really a thread, it's more like the entire NDR-forum. :D

howarde:
So anyway... I would like to know if SB should be restricted to ONLY SCUBA related discussion, because I think that would certainly make SB very BORING. Comments?
No, SB doesn't have to be scuba-only.

For those that would like their forums "pure", you can use "Edit Options" to filter the unwanted threads.

As long as topics are segregated and I have the ability to filter out non-scuba threads, you can post about dogs, peanut butter, whatever you like. Seems like a lot of added work to moderate, but that's not my problem.

While scuba divers may have other topics of conversation, I come here primarily to discuss diving and directly related issues. Of course I can always avoid the non-SCUBA topics, but I read SB using the "New Posts" option which means I have to go through pages of non-diving related threads. Sometimes that's fun, sometimes it's just a PITA. However, not a major issue for me.

drbill:
While scuba divers may have other topics of conversation, I come here primarily to discuss diving and directly related issues. Of course I can always avoid the non-SCUBA topics, but I read SB using the "New Posts" option which means I have to go through pages of non-diving related threads. Sometimes that's fun, sometimes it's just a PITA. However, not a major issue for me.
You know you can choose forums to ignore for New Posts, as mentioned the post before yours? (It is not working at the moment, but will hopefully work again soon.)

Damselfish:
(It is not working at the moment, but will hopefully work again soon.)

Now you tell me! I was scratching through UserCP and the Board looking for it for the last half hour with no luck.

Well, hopefully the database problem gets sorted out and we will have all our features back.

Cheers,

Andrew

For MOFNMOF at least, since it has been moved to humor that should place it in the easy-to-avoid (screen) zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom