What is used equipment worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's no pictures there
For a more accurate appraisal, you might want to provide as much info as possible, tanks for example may only be worth $10 or maybe $300+, some key info is needed to determine that.

If the tanks need a VIP then it will cost you money. If they need a hydro and then a VIP then they will cost you more money. If they are aluminum and more than 25 years old then many shops and many hydro inspection facilities won't even inspect them. The tanks might end up useless as diving equipment but they make great bells and flower pots.

The photos are terrible but the regs look like they are Dacor regulators. Dacor was purchased by Mares and most of the Dacor service kits are unavailable now so you won't even be able to service them.

It's only worth it if they pay you to haul the junk away.

ironically, those pelican cases are probably worth more than the dive gear :)

generally, my rule of thumb is that as a buyer, I try to get used gear for half of what it is worth new, and as a seller, I try to get 75% of the new price. But, usually happy either way in between these. This however assumes that the gear is current, useful and in good condition.

In order to show people this, you will need to retake your pictures with better lighting and try to include pictures with such things as hydro stamp and vis sticker on the tanks along with manufacture date of some of the gear (if possible). Also, spread the gear out a bit so people can see what is all there.

In your description, list the make and model of each piece of gear, and describe any imperfections -- honesty goes a long way.

shame there wasn't a camera in the lot of stuff....

not that I'm looking, but you seem to need one....

(post #1 to sell stuff on SB usually isn't a good sign)

Somebody might want the pink fins for $20 or so. Agree with ^ - it would help if we could actually see the gear instead of a bunch of dark shadows. From what I could see it all looks like old junk. The tanks could have some value - at least they all look to have K-valves so are probably from this decade. But the inspections/hydro testing will determine that. Take clear pictures of the markings on each tank if possible.

If you're listing on craigslist around here it's apparently worth 110+% of fair new retail, even when 10 years old. And aluminum tanks from the 70s and 80s are apparently worth $70+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

We will try to take more pics today. The items are located in our church hall - not well lit - donated to us by a former diver. The equip was used by a husband and wife for a bit but have not been used for I think four years. Will post pics later. Thanks for your advice.

Damn! Wanna buy all my stuff and resell there?

If you're listing on craigslist around here it's apparently worth 110+% of fair new retail, even when 10 years old. And aluminum tanks from the 70s and 80s are apparently worth $70+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added March 14th, 2014 at 01:44 PM ----------

I agree here, but the 50% - 75% can't be applied to everything though, A petrel for example can sell for 90% of new value. A suunto D9 won't sell for half the original value, even if it's in better shape than the Petrel.
I listed some of my stuff for even less than half of new, and it is brand new, still in the box.

One of the criterias I use to price my used gear, is a price I would be willing to pay myself if I were to buy it.

ironically, those pelican cases are probably worth more than the dive gear :)

generally, my rule of thumb is that as a buyer, I try to get used gear for half of what it is worth new, and as a seller, I try to get 75% of the new price. But, usually happy either way in between these. This however assumes that the gear is current, useful and in good condition.

In order to show people this, you will need to retake your pictures with better lighting and try to include pictures with such things as hydro stamp and vis sticker on the tanks along with manufacture date of some of the gear (if possible). Also, spread the gear out a bit so people can see what is all there.

In your description, list the make and model of each piece of gear, and describe any imperfections -- honesty goes a long way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom