What is this ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the diveskin site by Oztex they say...

Use:
Protects skin from coral cuts, stinging jellyfish and sunburn.
Getting into a neoprene suit has never been easier. Where:
Warm, tropical waters OR under neoprene in colder waters to give additional warmth and make getting in and out of your neoprene suit much easier.

Gee I think I said that already

ok, i think you won the jack pot!!!!!!

yea, defenatly not a wetsuit, but does keep me quite warm by its self :D

thanks for clearing that up

Looks like a Darlex suit, which is a wetsuit of sorts. Lycra on the outside, fleece on the inside, with a waterproof membrane in between. These were more popular years back, I think before thin neoprene was available. I might still have one lurking in a closet. If you search for polyolefin you'll find some similar suits.

i think your closest, the guy who gave this to me is like 75 years old and he said hes had it for a very long time.

the tag says them "DIVESKINS TM by Oztex

any one hered of this?

Be careful when/if donning it----it may be dry rotted & rip to pieces.......

It's just a heavier, slightly insulated diveskin. A outer layer of nylon/lycra, and an inside layer of polarfleece. These were supposed to give an insulating value similar to 1/8" neoprene, without the buoyancy or bulk, but I really doubt they do.

However, they are very comfortable and make nice lightweight travel suits when more insulation is not necessary. I have a very similar one by Henderson . If I stick my hand inside the suit after I have been wearing it for a while the water there in definately warmer, so I guess it is doing something. It delaminates every time I do a dive with it, then seems to glue itself together when it dries, very odd but doesn't seem to affect function.

Miscellaneous Oztex Lycra Diveskins
Category: Miscellaneous Unisex
Product Rating:
Price: $49.99
Product Number: 90X00Y

Oztex Lycra Diveskins
A quality diveskin at a reasonable price.
Designed with divers in mind. These quality suits are made from precise patterns to guarantee a great fit while affording you a full range of motion.
All DIVESKINS use the latest in high quality fabrics and zippers, for long-lasting wear.
These Lightweight body-hugging, form-fitting suits offer you protection against the tropical sun, coral abrasions and stinging aquatic life.
The full-range stretch of heavy-duty antron nylon/lycra spandex follows and bends when you bend, goes where you go. Features heel stirrups and doubled arm cuffs. If used as an undergarment, your wetsuit will now go on with ease, and if used solo, it will provide minimal warmth for use in warm tropical waters, while providing the environmental protection from the sun and them dang stinging things.
Every dive bag deserves at least one - for him and her.
Use:
Protects skin from coral cuts, stinging jellyfish and sunburn. Getting into a neoprene suit has never been easier. Nylon to nylon surfaces slide on over your skin.
Where:
Warm, tropical waters OR under neoprene in colder waters to give additional warmth and make getting in and out of your neoprene suit much easier.
Fabric:
Medium weight TRICOT (omnidirectional stretch Antron nylon/lycra spandex #41,
Fabric will not run and retains its shape even after repeated use More from Miscellaneous:
See the complete collection of Miscellaneous Scuba Gear. To view all of the Wetsuits by Miscellaneous visit Miscellaneous Wetsuits. For more products related to Dive Skins see Miscellaneous Dive Skins. Continue to compare prices of Miscellaneous Rashguard Full Suits.

Miscellaneous Oztex Lycra Diveskins - Compare Prices
Merchant Store Rating In Stock Price Buy

Joe Diver America Info
Rate this merchant YES $49.99

DiveBooty.com updates online store prices and availability in real time; if however, you notice a price discrepancy please notify us

is there a particular reason y these polyolefin suits have gone out of style??
I don't know that they were much more of a big thing years back than they are now, but now and then the question comes up and some people seem to miss them. My speculation is that the very thin neoprene wasn't available back then but now that it is, it's seen as more desirable somehow. Maybe cheaper to make, warmer, more comfortable? I do find a 1mm neoprene skin more comfortable than my old Darlex, which with the membrane didn't really stretch or flex all that well. I'm not sure the current polyolefin suits have anything like that waterproof membrane, which may make them less of a wetsuit but more comfortable. Of course plain lycra is really comfortable, but not much thermal protection there.

'Course, it doesn't really matter. If it fits and works for you, wear it.

I have a blue water camo Diveskin by Oztex that I LOVE LOVE LOVE but unfortunately, it's over 10 years old and the knees are gone and the inside fleece is getting thin in spots. I was told by Austin's Dive shop in Miami that Oztex went out of business.....figures.....he can't get my Diveskin any more. I found two for sale on the internet by individuals but they were already snapped up. I wish I could find one somewhere....I need a womans Large. I love the fleece lining, even in Florida. I've never been too hot or too cold wearing my Diveskin. It even got tossed into the washer once but it survived intact. I've never had a more comfortable suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom