What is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apollon

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
About a year ago I was driving back from diving and came upon a yard sale on a back road.
I found a tank plate or bracket of some type in a box of stuff. The lady there said she thought it was for diving but didn't know anything else. Her husband wasn't there (I got the feeling it was a divorce sale). She wasn't in a very good mood. I got the thing for $5.00. There was nothing with it, it was plain. I'm assuming there must have been shoulder straps and some kind of tank straps to hold the tank on. I also am guessing it's old because I don't see anyway to use a BC with it unless it was used with an old horse collar. I don't see any writing or stamping anywhere on it.
I don't know if it can still be used or if anyone has any ideas what it is or has seen one before.
I appreciate any help, thanks.

Attachments

• P1010081.JPG
    P1010081.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 137
  • P1010083.JPG
    P1010083.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 89
LOL!!! A freedom plate for $5!!! Husband would be PISSED!!

That appeears to be a Gen I Freedom Plate. You can use it with a horsecollar or nothing but they work with a wing also by threading the cambands through the slots. What a steal at five dollars.

N

I read through some of the posts on the freedom plate poll link. I didn't get to far into it but the pics of the ones I saw looked a little narrower than mine. The tops looked the same though.
The one I have looks crude and home made, not like something made off a production line.

Diving it with no BC?, are you nuts! That certainly wasn't in my training.

......................Diving it with no BC?, are you nuts! That certainly wasn't in my training.

Nuts, no, real divers yes. Lot of us on this board who often dive old school (vintage). If your weighting and skills are good enough there is really little need for a BC on most dives. I prefer no BC and dive that way any time I can.

Nuts, no, real divers yes. Lot of us on this board who often dive old school (vintage). If your weighting and skills are good enough there is really little need for a BC on most dives. I prefer no BC and dive that way any time I can.

Well, I'm not entirely sure why anyone would prefer to dive with no wing/bc unless, of course, they are used to diving traditional jacket bc's or have over sized wings. BTW, it is entirely possible and even quite nice in the right conditions. I just don't know if it outweighs the benefits of a properly sized system.

BC's are sort of a new addition to the diving kit. I was certified about 20 years ago and I dove for a while without a BC. Granted that was in warm water with limited thermal protection and with AL80's.

Of course, YMMV.

Hunter

Well, I'm not entirely sure why anyone would prefer to dive with no wing/bc
Hunter

Because a lot of times it isn't of any use.

Well, I'm not entirely sure why anyone would prefer to dive with no wing/bc unless, of course, they are used to diving traditional jacket bc's or have over sized wings. BTW, it is entirely possible and even quite nice in the right conditions. I just don't know if it outweighs the benefits of a properly sized system.

BC's are sort of a new addition to the diving kit. I was certified about 20 years ago and I dove for a while without a BC. Granted that was in warm water with limited thermal protection and with AL80's.

Of course, YMMV.

Hunter

I agree that if you are using a BC is should be well fitting and have the proper lift for the dive. If I am wearing a BC it is a well fitting back inflate with one of 2 wings an 18 lb and a 35 lb, perfect for all the diving I do where I feel I need a BC. There are times when I do prefer it, dry suit diving, way off shore in NC (and then mostly for surface floatation) or when I am wearing a lot of neoprene. So why would I not want a BC-wing, well for starters it's much more efficient. We always hear the BP/wing divers talk about streamlining, no BC or wing is the ultimate in streamlining. IF and most divers are not, you are properly weighted and you are not wearing a lot of thermal protection, there is really no need for a bladder, esp if you are diving single tanks. The swing from full to empty on a 80- does not matter if it's steel or AL- is around 4 lbs. I weight so I am neutral at 1/2 tank, dealing with a couple of pounds over or under weighted should not be a problem for an experienced diver. I have no need to carry extra weight to make up for the air in the BC, nor do I have to carry or pack the extra weight and size of the BC. Last but not least is diving freedom, I really like the feel of not dragging around all that unnecessary gear underwater. It's not for everyone but those of us who do choose to dive that way, we enjoy it, to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom