What is this sound my reg is making?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds more like a first stage noise to me, like a vibration. You're not referring to the single click that I hear occasionally, are you? That click could be the lever slapping against the diaphragm, but the noise that I noticed was ongoing during inhalation. That might be a spring vibrating, something that's getting pushed against another part while air is flowing past, I'm just guessing. I'm curious, when you figure it out please post.

Here's the result of the technician's investigation. Interested in thoughts from this group as well. Thanks

1st Stage: Aqualung Micron
2nd Stage: Aqualung Micron
Intermediate Pressure at last Annual Service (9/26/13): 130 PSI
Mid Pressure Creep at last annual Service: None
2nd Stage Cracking Pressure at last annual Service: 1.2
Intermediate Pressure at diagnostic (3/25/14): 135
Mid Pressure Creep: None
2nd Stage Cracking pressure at beginning of Diagnostic: 1.2
Intermediate Pressure after dive (4/1/14): 135
Mid Pressure Creep after dive: None
2nd Stage Cracking pressure at end of diagnostic (post test dive): 1.4
Are adjustments within factory recommended settings? Yes
Findings:
Aqualung Micron Regulator set was received from the owner with complaints of a “Fluttering sound” at aprox. 70 FSW. Video was inconclusive as to whether the sound was emanating from the 1st or the 2nd stage. The regulator was attached to a high pressure air source (3000 psi) for a diagnostic check. The intermediate pressure and cracking pressure were consistent with those recorded during its previous annual service. Breathing on the primary second stage and the octopus failed to replicate the noise shown in the video. Consultation with Aqualung Technical Support resulted in no known reason for the identified sound. Aqualung recommended setting the Intermediate pressure to 135 PSI. It was suggested by the Aqualung Rep to take the regulator to 70FSW on a pony bottle and try to get it to make the same sound. The owner of the regulator gave permission to proceed with this testing. On 1 April 2014, the regulator was dove to a depth of aprox 80 FSW. Breathing on the regulator at this depth resulted in the sound emanating from the first stage on the first two inhalations. Subsequent inhalations failed to produce the sound. Breathing was alternated between fast, slow, shallow and deep, and at the same time manipulating the adjustment knob through the full range of operation. The regulator still did not produce this sound. The full range of testing was accomplished at intervals of every 10 feet from 80FSW to 20FSW. No sound was produced. Upon surfacing, the Intermediate pressure was checked, and then checked again after rinsing back at the maintenance facility. Both times, the IP remained unchanged. It is the determination of the service technician that the vibration noise is the result of harmonics on the mainspring during operation. Replacement of the spring could potentially stop this noise from continuing. Operation with the current spring should not pose a problem, with the exception of this noise occasionally being made.

Last edited:
Sounds like the tech did the right tests, took it for a dive, etc....and as I guessed it might be a spring vibration. Those are typically associated with piston 1st stages, and sometimes simply adding a bit of lube or disassembling or even adjusting the IP does something to interrupt the resonance that causes the sound. I wouldn't worry about it. But I'm just guessing, if you are worried about it you could have it completely rebuilt.

Posted a more recent video of this issue, where the noise is more audible

RegNoise - YouTube

You sure you didn't fall asleep and start snoring :D

But seriously, did you breathe from your octopus and replicate that noise?

What about a quick purge of your other 2nd--does that produce that sound?

Just my $.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom