What is this sound my reg is making?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhagelin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, I have an AquaLung Mikron reg that I've been using for about 1.5 years now. From time to time is has made a strange noise on inhale (a clacking type sound), the first time I noticed it was about a year ago and have had it serviced since then but it is still making the noise. It tends to be more prevalent at depth (40+ ft).

Here is a video of me diving with it where you can hear the noise. Go to the 1:20 mark in the video and you can hear it on inhale.

Molokini Hawaii DiveVideo - YouTube

Thanks for any insight into what this may be.

Brian

Possibly the diaphragm smacking in to the demand lever?

Thanks for the replies, is there an inspection I could do to test if the demand lever setting?

Whylonsmithers, how do I move this thread to the correct forum? Or perhaps a moderator can assist..

Thanks for the replies, is there an inspection I could do to test if the demand lever setting?

Whylonsmithers, how do I move this thread to the correct forum? Or perhaps a moderator can assist..

The Mikron uses a balanced downstream valve, similar to the Apeks TX/ATX/XTX, AL Titan LX, and AL Legend series of regulators.

It's kinda a PITA to adjust the lever height.

As long as the breathing resistance feels good (~1.0-1.5" H2O on a magnehelic) and you can get a nice full purge when you hit the diaphragm cover, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It may require adjustment in about 35-50 dives.

Check IP.

N

what does "IP" stand for?

Intermediate Pressure. That's the pressure that the first stage reduces the tank pressure to. Depending upon the first stage, it's set somewhere around 120 psi to 145 psi.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Regulators from General

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom