what is this fish called?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharptail mola (English)

Oh god, I remember this one. Some smart*** was commenting on seeing a "mola" out on the reef. An entire room full of field instructors became deadly quiet, and then exploded into jabbering, excited knots. Half a dozen people starting whipping out field guides... others start to run out to change their boat itineraries with the harbormaster.

I forget the details of what happened immediately afterwards, but at some point we figure out that it's a bloody pufferfish, and considerable cussing and throwing of objects of aforementioned smart*** takes place.

Friggin' pufferfish.

Friggin' non-FAO common names, the bane of a taxonomist's existence, I get photos daily that some damned photographer has taken with no more ID than what the locals told him or her it was.

I still say it's a juvenile starry puffer. I don't see a clear indication of spines indicative of a porcupinefish.

Look at the smooth line along his back and left side. Most porcupinefish I've seen have much more pronounced spines that lay along their back and sides giving them a much rougher looking appearance. But I'll defer to the experts...

puffer1.jpg

puffer2.jpg

I don't thing so, but it's hard to tell. Where was the picture taken?

tn_Dihys_u6.jpg

Diodon hystrix's range is: Circumtropical. Eastern Pacific: San Diego, California, USA to Chile, including the Galapagos Islands. Western Atlantic: Bermuda, Massachusetts (USA), and northern Gulf of Mexico to Brazil. Eastern Atlantic: 30°N to 23°S. Western Indian Ocean: Red Sea to Madagascar, Reunion and Mauritius. Mediterranean.

Occurs in lagoon and seaward reefs to at least 50 m. Commonly seen in caves and holes in shallow reefs. Juveniles to about 20 cm are pelagic. Adults benthic. A solitary and nocturnal fish that feeds on hard shelled invertebrates like sea urchins, gastropods, and hermit crabs. Generally common . Not normally used as food (Ref. 3717). Reached a life-span of 10 years and a length of 69 cm.

tn_Arste_u4.jpg

While Arothron stellatus is: Indo-Pacific: Red Sea and East Africa (Ref. 4919) to the Tuamoto Islands, north to southern Japan, south to Lord Howe Island. Southeast Atlantic: south coast of South Africa.

Arothron stellatus is relatively uncommon in patch reefs and coral slopes near sandy areas of clear lagoon and seaward reefs. Juveniles occur in sandy and weedy inner reefs, adults on clear lagoons and seaward reefs. Juveniles inshore, usually on muddy substrates and often estuarine. Adults on deep slopes and range to outer reefs, sometimes swimming high above the substrate or just below the surface. Pelagic larvae may disperse over great distance and juveniles occur in subtropical zone. Enters estuaries. Considered as the giant among puffers reaching a total length well in excess of a meter.

Arothron stellatus

Arothron wielki (Polish)
Badkonak-mahi-e-ghahvahei (Farsi)
Ballon constellé (French)
Ballon Ètoilé (French)
Ballon étoilé (French)
Bankocho (Konkani)
Baudruche zébrée (French)
Bouletang (Creoles and Pidgins, French)
Bouletang ti poule (Creoles and Pidgins, French)
Bouletang vielle (Creoles and Pidgins, French)
Buntal (Malay)
Buqmah a'nijmi (Arabic)
Butete (Tagalog)
Faki (Arabic)
Fakla (Arabic)
Huehue (Rapanui)
Huehue (Tahitian)
Lesh (Austronesian (Other))
Lesh (Carolinian)
Moyôfugu (Japanese)
Poisson-ballon Ètoilé (French)
Poisson-ballon étoilé (French)
Star blaasop (English)
Star puffer (English)
Staring blow fish (English)
Starry puffer (English)
Starry toadfish (English)
Ster-blaasop (Afrikaans)
Sue-gatala (Samoan)
Sue-va'a (Samoan)
Sumusumu (Fijian)
Toby (English)
Tähtipallokala (Finnish)
starry blowfish (English)

Thal,

You're right. It's Diodon hystrix. You can definitely see the similarities in the fins, snout and uniformity of the spots.

I hate trying to ID this way, much neater to count fin rays.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom