What is this a gun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here it is. not sure if that worked???

Attachments

• boom stick 001.jpg
    boom stick 001.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 165
  • boom stick 002.jpg
    boom stick 002.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of things made and marketed 30 or 40 years ago are just as polished and well made as those made today. The bang stick came out of a design for a German WWII mine.

If you REALLY want to see it in action, buy a brisket and weight it till it sinks. Load a BLANK round of ammo and watch the weapon effects. Crude but very effective. If it were me, you have a nice conversation piece.

oops! that was big! thanks im sure that is all it will be. i live on lake michigan so i will be suprised if i run into anything really dangerous,haha.

Please delete the photo, it really screws up the thread being so large. The thumbnails
work quite well.

Driftwood, why do you keep insisting on using blanks?

Last edited:
thats what im thinking too. thanks im surprised that there is no manufacture name on it though. anyone know of any companies that carry these?
Do a Google search for "bang stick" and you'll find some information...

Please delete the photo, it really screws up the thread being so large. The thumbnails work quite well.

You beat me to it on both counts. :wink:

On the second, splashing water at a shark isn't going to be much of a deterrent. You definitely need something more solid.

miketsp:
On the second, splashing water at a shark isn't going to be much of a deterrent. You
definitely need something more solid.

Actually, it's neither the slug nor water that does most of the damage, it's the expanding gases
from the powder, but the slug does do some damage and does no harm to the diver. I'm no
expert on blanks, but I would imagine they would be difficult to seal against water.

it looks in the diagram like it holds a regular bullet, like a .38 cartridge or something

In the dark ages I had a BS similar to what you are describing. It took custom .38 blank cartriges which were friction fit in the device. No safety pin.

I don't have a pic and I don't have time to clip and enlarge this pic, but on my belt you can see the catridges. :)

Attachments

• old scuba 001.JPG
    old scuba 001.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 84
Please delete the photo, it really screws up the thread being so large. The thumbnails
work quite well.

A blank round generates gas and makes a big bang. Nasty things tend to happen when you shoot a bullet down a barrel that has obstructions. I consider a barrel full of water an obstruction and that pressure has to go somewhere. If the barrel is strong enough, you get increased recoil, if not the barrel explodes in your face. Better safe than...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom